Determining sample size for estimating means-sample decisons, Operation Research

Determining Sample Size for estimatingMeans

a.Acceptable Errors: There  may be several errors  in the  sample  size. The researcher  will have  to decide those  errors. Which may  be acceptable to  the executive.  For  example  if the  marketing executive desires to spends Rs.10,000 per month  on advertisement he may willingly spend   ± 10 % of the said expenditure. The deviation is decided on the basis of the  acceptable mean of  ten expenditure. A large size error would  be unacceptable. Therefore ten management will  have  to determine various  errors related to the sampling procedures. How many  errors  will be  acceptable  to management  are decided before planning  the sampling.

b.Confidence Level  :The  next  factor  influencing the   sample size  is deciding the confidence level. The larger the size of the sample the larger will be the confidence level of the  estimate. In case of a 100 percent sample of the population the confidence of the estimate will  be a 100 percent accurate. But  the study of all elements of the population will  too costly and impractical. Therefore  a smaller size  sample is selected for  calculating the estimate. In  practice the  management may decide on a 90 percent 95 percent  or 99 percent confidence level. Ac confidence level  of 95 percent  is desirable for all purposes.  The remaining  5 percent  risk  is acceptable.  Depending  on a 95  percent  confidence  level, the  size  of he sample may  be  determined. In  case of the  estimate  size of  sample  is decided by  the followings  formula.

                                                                                 x  = s/ √n

    Where  x is the  estimate  of the standard  error  of the  man  and S is the sample  standard deviation and is the size of  he sample. We have  seen that ± 2  x as the  interval at 95.45 confidence level to  decide  a specific  estimate. If we  assume  that we  want  ± 10 % of the  estimate  the would  be :

 

                                                   2110_Determining Sample Size for estimatingMeans.png

 

But  in practice, the  standard  deviation of the  sample  is unknown  before  selection  of the  sample. If  is a  typical  case. The researcher tries  to known  from past  studies.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Posted Date: 2/26/2013 2:23:30 AM | Location : United States







Related Discussions:- Determining sample size for estimating means-sample decisons, Assignment Help, Ask Question on Determining sample size for estimating means-sample decisons, Get Answer, Expert's Help, Determining sample size for estimating means-sample decisons Discussions

Write discussion on Determining sample size for estimating means-sample decisons
Your posts are moderated
Related Questions
Why Two regression Lines Once regression line  cannot  minimize the sum  of square of deviations  for both  the x and Y series  unless the relationship  between  them  indicat

A paper mill produces two grades of paper viz., X and Y. Because of raw material restrictions, it cannot produce more than 400 tons of grade X paper and 300 tons of grade Y paper i

Q2.Six Operators are to be assigned to five jobs with the cost of assignment in Rs. given in the matrix below. Determine the optimal assignment. Which operator will have no assignm

Anthology or Book with Articles  or Works by Many Authors   The name  of the person  compiling the book  will be  given  followed  by the  word editor. For more  than one  edit

A paper mill products two grade of paper viz., X & Y. Because of raw material restriction, it cannot produce more than 400 tons of grade X paper & 300 tons of grade Y paper in a we

The sequencing problems arises whenever there is problems in determining the sequence ( order) in which a member of tasks can be performed by a number of service facilities su

A paper mill produces two grades of paper viz., X and Y. Because of raw material restrictions, it cannot produce more than 400 tons of grade X paper and 300 tons of grade Y paper i

POLICIES, NORMS AND STANDARDS: Information source; building, an important function of the library, should be based on sound policies and programmes.  The basic question of

A paper mill produces two grades of paper viz., X and Y. Because of raw material restrictions, it cannot produce more than 400 tons of grade X paper and 300 tons of grade Y paper i

BINOMIAL DISTRIUBITON This  distribution  (also known  as Bernoulli  distribution ) is useful  in such  an experiment where  there  are only two  outcomes success or failure g