1. Use the portal method to determine the approximate vertical reactions. Circles represent pinned connections.
2. A steel 2" x 3" rectangular bar is 9' long (E = 29,000ksi) and is used in a truss. Write the appropriate local stiffness matrix.
3. What is the degree of indeterminacy for the following structures?
4. Use the three-moment equation to determine the reactions at A. Assume EI is constant for each span.
5. Determine the reactions for the beam using the method of consistent deformations. Symmetry may be assumed. You must show your work.
6. Determine the internal moments and reactions at each support using the moment distribution method.
7. Determine the slope and displacement at C. Use the method of virtual work for the beam section.
Assume for all sections:
E = 2100 ksi
I = 70 in4
A = 3 in2