Customer Service Chat
Get quote & make Payment
define Shortest-Job-First (SJF) Scheduling ?, Basic Computer Science
• It is also known as Shortest-Process-Next (SPN).
• Shortest-Job-First (SJF) is a non-preemptive order in which waiting job (or process) with the smallest predictable run-time-to-completion is run next. In other language, when CPU is available, it is allotted to the process that has smallest next CPU burst.
• The SJF scheduling is mainly suitable for batch jobs for which the run times are known in advance. Since the SJF scheduling algorithm gives the minimum average time for a given set of processes, it is almost certainly optimal.
• The SJF algorithm helps short jobs (or processors) at the cost of longer ones.
• The understandable problem with SJF scheme is that it requires precise acquaintance of how long a job or process will run, and this information is not generally available.
• In the production environment where the same jobs run frequently, it may be possible to provide reasonable estimate of run time, based on the past presentation of the process. But in the development environment users not often know how their program will execute.
• The best SJF algorithm can do is to rely on user approximation of run times.
• Like FCFS, SJF is non preemptive therefore, it is not helpful in timesharing environment in which reasonable answer time must be sure.
Posted Date: 5/2/2012 8:34:44 AM | Location : United States
Ask an Expert
define Shortest-Job-First (SJF) Scheduling ?, Assignment Help, Ask Question on define Shortest-Job-First (SJF) Scheduling ?, Get Answer, Expert's Help, define Shortest-Job-First (SJF) Scheduling ? Discussions
Write discussion on define Shortest-Job-First (SJF) Scheduling ?
Your posts are moderated
Write your message here..
Transfer instructions, They are utilized to move the contents of the operat...
They are utilized to move the contents of the operators. Each instruction can be used with many different modes of addressing. MOV MOVS (MOVSB) (MOVSW) MOV INSTRUCTION Principle: D
Analogue and digital signals, Analogue and digital signals: Analogue (c...
Analogue and digital signals: Analogue (continuous) information is made available in virtually all aircraft equipment. Figure 1 shows the analogue signal created by a variable
Computer input, COMPUTER INPUT: Figure shows input information for a ty...
COMPUTER INPUT: Figure shows input information for a typical airborne digital computer. The sensors in Figure develop analogue electrical signals representing: -
Multithread 1:1 Model, Given an operating system that supports a one – to ...
Given an operating system that supports a one – to –one relationship between user-level threads and kernel – level threads and allows one or more threads from a process to issue b
Programming c language, sin^2*a+cos^2*a=1
What is atm, ATM = Asynchronous Transfer Mode Fast packet switching and mul...
ATM = Asynchronous Transfer Mode Fast packet switching and multiplexing technology (cell-based ) Support the universe of services voice, video and data traffic Provides quality of
Define Program formation process, For the formation of a program it is nece...
For the formation of a program it is necessary to follow five steps: Design of the algorithm, stage the problem to be solved is reputable and the best solution is proposed, creatin
Represent the user interface, Question: CarRide.com is the web portal t...
Question: CarRide.com is the web portal to CarRide Ltd; a car rental company that makes full use of technological advances to make sure you enjoy the ride with your rental car.
Command Line Arguments, You may have seen, as, that many programs can be ru...
You may have seen, as, that many programs can be run so that they give you with some basic information concerning how they should be run. Python permits you to do this with -h: $ p
What is a socket, QUESTION (a) You have been asked to design and implem...
QUESTION (a) You have been asked to design and implement a chat application. Which protocol would you used TCP or UDP? Justify your answer. (b) Explain why multithreading is
Accounting Assignment Help
Economics Assignment Help
Finance Assignment Help
Statistics Assignment Help
Physics Assignment Help
Chemistry Assignment Help
Math Assignment Help
Biology Assignment Help
English Assignment Help
Management Assignment Help
Engineering Assignment Help
Programming Assignment Help
Computer Science Assignment Help
IT Courses and Help
Why Us ?
~24x7 hrs Support
~Quality of Work
~Time on Delivery
~Privacy of Work
Human Resource Management
Literature Review Writing Help
Follow Us |
T & C
Copyright by ExpertsMind IT Educational Pvt. Ltd.