Customer Service Chat
Get quote & make Payment
define Shortest-Job-First (SJF) Scheduling ?, Basic Computer Science
• It is also known as Shortest-Process-Next (SPN).
• Shortest-Job-First (SJF) is a non-preemptive order in which waiting job (or process) with the smallest predictable run-time-to-completion is run next. In other language, when CPU is available, it is allotted to the process that has smallest next CPU burst.
• The SJF scheduling is mainly suitable for batch jobs for which the run times are known in advance. Since the SJF scheduling algorithm gives the minimum average time for a given set of processes, it is almost certainly optimal.
• The SJF algorithm helps short jobs (or processors) at the cost of longer ones.
• The understandable problem with SJF scheme is that it requires precise acquaintance of how long a job or process will run, and this information is not generally available.
• In the production environment where the same jobs run frequently, it may be possible to provide reasonable estimate of run time, based on the past presentation of the process. But in the development environment users not often know how their program will execute.
• The best SJF algorithm can do is to rely on user approximation of run times.
• Like FCFS, SJF is non preemptive therefore, it is not helpful in timesharing environment in which reasonable answer time must be sure.
Posted Date: 5/2/2012 8:34:44 AM | Location : United States
Ask an Expert
define Shortest-Job-First (SJF) Scheduling ?, Assignment Help, Ask Question on define Shortest-Job-First (SJF) Scheduling ?, Get Answer, Expert's Help, define Shortest-Job-First (SJF) Scheduling ? Discussions
Write discussion on define Shortest-Job-First (SJF) Scheduling ?
Your posts are moderated
Write your message here..
Computer as a data processor, Computer as a Data Processor: The main f...
Computer as a Data Processor: The main function of a computer is to process the input data according to a specific program to produce the desired output. This is the reason wh
Long term goal of artificial intelligence, Long term goal of artificial int...
Long term goal of artificial intelligence: This is not to be complex with the applications of AI programs to other sciences, discussed later. Rather, it is just pointing out th
Cmis, how much it cost for 8 week class
how much it cost for 8 week class
Computational physiology, Estimate the mean deflection of the QRS complex i...
Estimate the mean deflection of the QRS complex in each of the six standard leads (I, II, III, aVR, aVL, aVF) in Figure 1 and then estimate the mean heart vector for the normal hea
History of e-mail, History of E-mail: Internet based E-mail system was...
History of E-mail: Internet based E-mail system was designed by a Computer engineer - Ray Tomlinson in late 1971 while working with ARPANET. Tomlinson used a file transfer pro
CAI, what is CAI? explain its pitfalls.
what is CAI? explain its pitfalls.
Stable marriage, Stable marriage problem
Stable marriage problem
Flowchart, i need help with flowcharting a procedure
i need help with flowcharting a procedure
C language, parent and child process using c language
parent and child process using c language
Write separate programs for each of the above points, Question 1 Describe ...
Question 1 Describe the following with respect to creating Web Forms in .Net environment- Web Form Life Cycle Creating a Web Form Write programs with corresponding
Accounting Assignment Help
Economics Assignment Help
Finance Assignment Help
Statistics Assignment Help
Physics Assignment Help
Chemistry Assignment Help
Math Assignment Help
Biology Assignment Help
English Assignment Help
Management Assignment Help
Engineering Assignment Help
Programming Assignment Help
Computer Science Assignment Help
Why Us ?
~24x7 hrs Support
~Quality of Work
~Time on Delivery
~Privacy of Work
Human Resource Management
Literature Review Writing Help
Follow Us |
T & C
Copyright by ExpertsMind IT Educational Pvt. Ltd.