Customer Service Chat
Get quote & make Payment
define Shortest-Job-First (SJF) Scheduling ?, Basic Computer Science
• It is also known as Shortest-Process-Next (SPN).
• Shortest-Job-First (SJF) is a non-preemptive order in which waiting job (or process) with the smallest predictable run-time-to-completion is run next. In other language, when CPU is available, it is allotted to the process that has smallest next CPU burst.
• The SJF scheduling is mainly suitable for batch jobs for which the run times are known in advance. Since the SJF scheduling algorithm gives the minimum average time for a given set of processes, it is almost certainly optimal.
• The SJF algorithm helps short jobs (or processors) at the cost of longer ones.
• The understandable problem with SJF scheme is that it requires precise acquaintance of how long a job or process will run, and this information is not generally available.
• In the production environment where the same jobs run frequently, it may be possible to provide reasonable estimate of run time, based on the past presentation of the process. But in the development environment users not often know how their program will execute.
• The best SJF algorithm can do is to rely on user approximation of run times.
• Like FCFS, SJF is non preemptive therefore, it is not helpful in timesharing environment in which reasonable answer time must be sure.
Posted Date: 5/2/2012 8:34:44 AM | Location : United States
Ask an Expert
define Shortest-Job-First (SJF) Scheduling ?, Assignment Help, Ask Question on define Shortest-Job-First (SJF) Scheduling ?, Get Answer, Expert's Help, define Shortest-Job-First (SJF) Scheduling ? Discussions
Write discussion on define Shortest-Job-First (SJF) Scheduling ?
Your posts are moderated
Write your message here..
Pitfals, what is CAI
what is CAI
Command processor and user interface, Command Processor and User Interface:...
Command Processor and User Interface: To the user, the most important and visible services provided by the OS is the user interface and the capabilities that it provides to ex
Explain code editor window and solution explorer, Question 1 Explain the c...
Question 1 Explain the components of the .NET Framework also give a diagram for this Question 2 Explain Code Editor Window and Solution Explorer Question 3 Write a
Vector processor, tell me about vector processor
tell me about vector processor
Stub cables, Stub cables: The stub cables are for bi-directional data m...
Stub cables: The stub cables are for bi-directional data movement between LRU and current mode coupler. The stub cables also supply power from the LRUs to the current couplers
Scope of operation research , scope of operation research in science?
scope of operation research in science?
Explain need for model view controller(mvc), Question 1 What is HTTP? How ...
Question 1 What is HTTP? How does it work? Question 2 What are the various methods of HttpServletResponse interface? Question 3 What is Web server? What are the va
Magnetic core memory, MAGNETIC CORE MEMORY: This type of memory is used...
MAGNETIC CORE MEMORY: This type of memory is used extensively in airborne digital systems, although integrated circuits are being developed with most modern aircraft systems.
History , when was the first computer made
when was the first computer made
Development of UNIX , Development of UNIX: The original UNIX developme...
Development of UNIX: The original UNIX development was performed on a Digital PDP-7 minicomputer and later moved to a PDP-11 minicomputer, the forerunner of the VAX computer.
Accounting Assignment Help
Economics Assignment Help
Finance Assignment Help
Statistics Assignment Help
Physics Assignment Help
Chemistry Assignment Help
Math Assignment Help
Biology Assignment Help
English Assignment Help
Management Assignment Help
Engineering Assignment Help
Programming Assignment Help
Computer Science Assignment Help
IT Courses and Help
Why Us ?
~24x7 hrs Support
~Quality of Work
~Time on Delivery
~Privacy of Work
Human Resource Management
Literature Review Writing Help
Follow Us |
T & C
Copyright by ExpertsMind IT Educational Pvt. Ltd.