Classification of conducting materials:
Electrical resistivity of a conducting material or conductor ranges from 10-8 to 10-3 ohm-m. A good conducting material should have these following properties:
1. Electrical properties: Good conductivity, low loss of electrical energy in the form of heat, low temperature coefficient of resistance.
2. Mechanical properties: Ductility, solder ability, resistance to corrosion, capability to withstand stress and strains and easy to fabricate.
3. Economic factors: Low cost, east availability and easy to manufacturing.
Based on the above factors the conducting materials can be classified as:
1. Low resistivity materials
2. High resistivity materials