Basic principles - propeller, Other Engineering

BASIC PRINCIPLES :

The purpose of a propeller is to convert the power developed by the engine into a useful force called 'Thrust'. This force must be equal to and opposite in direction to 'Drag' in order for the aircraft to remain in level flight without acceleration.

Aircraft propellers, whether powered by reciprocating engines or turbine engines, accelerate a large mass of air through a small velocity change, as opposed to the turbojet, which accelerates a small quantity of air through a large velocity change.

The cross section of a propeller blade is similar to that of an aerofoil and it will behave in a similar manner when moving through the air. As the blade is rotating as well as moving forward, the blade will meet the air at a positive angle of attack. This will produce 'lift' which acts along the axis of rotation of the engine, thus causing forward movement of the airframe as a result of thrust. The blade can be thought of as a rotating wing in essence.

There are two types of propeller, fixed pitch and variable pitch. The first section will deal with the fixed pitch propeller.


Propellers can be installed in several configurations: that of a 'tractor' in which the propeller is mounted forward of the engine, and 'pusher' in which the mounting is aft of the engine.

Increase in power output has resulted in the development of four and six bladed units, but there is a limit to R.P.M. and efficiency, generally accepted to be approximately 500 m.p.h. However, recent advances in computer design, composite materials and blade aerodynamics, plus the continued development of the fan engines, do seem to indicate that the propeller, albeit in a vastly different form to the Wright Brothers' model, will be around for many years to come.

The propeller blade is of Aerofoil section with some changes in terminology and the forces produced as it moves through the air are roughly equivalent to the forces of lift and drag produced by an aircraft wing.  These forces are called thrust and torque and are shown in comparison with an aerofoil.

1993_propller.png

Newton's Second Law states that Force = Mass ´ Acceleration and Thrust being a force, the same expression applies, being equal to the mass of air handled and the speed of the slipstream, less the speed of the aeroplane.  Therefore, the power expended in producing thrust depends on the mass of air moved per second.  On average, thrust constitutes 80% of the total horsepower absorbed by the propeller (torque).  The other 20% is lost in friction and slippage.  For any speed of rotation, the horsepower absorbed by the propeller balances the horsepower delivered by the engine.

Posted Date: 9/14/2012 2:20:48 AM | Location : United States







Related Discussions:- Basic principles - propeller, Assignment Help, Ask Question on Basic principles - propeller, Get Answer, Expert's Help, Basic principles - propeller Discussions

Write discussion on Basic principles - propeller
Your posts are moderated
Related Questions
1) An investment project requires a net investment of $100,000. The project is expected to generate annual net cash flows of $28,000 for the next 5 years. The firm''''s cost of cap

A 50 cm  diameter pipeline in the Arctic Carries hot oil at 30 0 C and exposed to a surrounding temperature of -20 0 C. Special powder insulation 5 cm thick surrounds the pipe an

Steam enters in the turbine at 6 MPa and 450 deg C and expands at some intermediate pressure 60 % of steam is extracted and remainder expands to 10 kPa at this Investigate the effe

Fuel system inhibiting. The fuel used in turbine engines usually contains a small quantity of water which, if left in the system, could cause corrosion. All the fuel should th

Write a program to calculate from the infinite series: Print a table showing the value of approximated by one term, two terms, three terms, four terms, and so on from th

Inhibit Gate Occasionally it is required to 'hold' one input to an AND gate at a particular logic level in order to disable the entire gate. One method of representing this sy

Enumerate possible impact of having inadequate system design in the lead time and engineering cost?

High frequency mode of bjt amplifier

Sprinkler installations in High rise buildings: The staircases in high rise buildings need extra protection against fire.  It can take a long time for everyone to descend the

my assingment is in petroleum engineering. Its production class.Can you help me?