Write down the different assumptions in simple theory of bending.
The assumptions which are made in theory of simple bending are stated below:
1. The material of beam is homogeneous (that is, uniform in density, strength etc.) and isotropic (that is, possesses same elastic property in all directions.)
2. The cross section of beam remains plane even after the bending.
3. The beam in at first straight and unstressed.
4. The stresses in beam are within elastic limit of its material.
5. The value of Young's modulus of material of beam in tension is same as that in compression.
6. Every layer of beam material is free to expand or contract laterally and longitudinally.
7. The radius of curvature of beam is quite large compared to cross section dimensions of beam.
8. The resultant force which is perpendicular to any cross section of beam is zero.