Analyse resources and accountability, Basic Statistics

The unfortunately-named (and fictitious) town of Avalanche, Utah maintains a vibrant and growing ski industry.  As Director of Avalanche's search-and-rescue operations, you are always interested in the latest technologies that can help you find skiers and others who find misfortune.  Most recently, you have been exploring the use of a Snow Sonogram Machine (SSM), which allows you to scan very deep sections of snow for evidence of buried bodies.

The SSM is a good, but not perfect, machine.  If someone is buried in a pile of snow, the SSM will correctly identify the presence of person in that pile 90% of the time.  If someone is buried, the SSM will say that the buried person is not actually there 10% of the time.  If someone is not buried, the SSM will correctly say that there is no one buried 70% of the time, but incorrectly say that there is someone buried 30% of the time.

Sure enough, after a recent small avalanche, a girl has gone missing, and you suspect she might be buried in a small section of one nearby mountain.  Specifically, there is a 90% chance she is buried and 10% chance she is not.

Assume that if she is buried, the only way you can find her is to dig, and assume that you will definitely find her if you dig.  If she is not buried and you dig, you have no chance of finding her.  If she is not buried and you choose not to dig (that is, you put your resources towards other search processes), you have a 10% chance of finding her.

For simplicity's sake, assume that - if you find her - you find her alive.    

Now, estimating costs and benefits can be a tricky and emotional business when talking about human lives, but you do live in the real world of limited resources and accountability.  As such, you rely on the significant body of literature on the value of human lives, which estimates the value of finding the girl at $10 million.  If you do not find her, the benefit is $0. 

The other relevant costs and benefits are as follows:

  • If you choose to use the SSM on the relevant section of mountain, you can rent it for $100,000
  • Digging in the section of mountain (regardless of whether the SSM is used) costs $150,000
  • Not digging (again, regardless of whether the SSM is used) costs $50,000, since you will engage in other, but less costly, search processes

Posted Date: 2/16/2013 7:58:15 AM | Location : United States







Related Discussions:- Analyse resources and accountability, Assignment Help, Ask Question on Analyse resources and accountability, Get Answer, Expert's Help, Analyse resources and accountability Discussions

Write discussion on Analyse resources and accountability
Your posts are moderated
Related Questions
Define Aggressive Growth Fund: A mutual fund which is primary investment intention is substantial capital gains. The return & principal value of mutual funds fluctuate with changes

The specification for a plastic handle calls for a length of 6.0 inches ± 0.5 inches (5.5 to 6.5 inches). The process is known to operate at a mean thickness of 6.1 inches.  The mi

In November 2010, every Mzumbe University student had an income of 150000/= per month,facing the price of meal (X) 1000/= and average price of other goods (Y) 1000/=.The initial ut

Rocco works for an international arms dealer who has just publicly listed. What with the world being how it is these days, there's money to be made on more than just selling the to

How important a role do you think IT will play in the conversion process from GAAP to IFRS? Manager 1: Earlier, we never expected the new rules to have such an impact on the

1. Cross BBGG X bbgg. Assume B and G are linked together on an autosome. Show F2 and give expected results. 2. Cross BBGG x bbgg. Assume B and G are not linked. Show F2 an

Definition of budget control as management of costs & expenses with examples. Budget control is the management of costs & expenses in accordance with an underlying budget.

Test the claim that 10% of a candy makers candies are red. Use a 0.05 significance and the table to answer the following questions: Find the proportion of the candies that are red?

The National Quality Research Center at the University of Michigan provides a quarterly measure of consumer opinions about products and services (The Wall Street Journal, February

1. Coal is carried from a mine in West Virginia to a power plant in New York in hopper cars on a long train. The automatic hopper car loader is set to put 36 tons of coal in each c