(1) Liquid and gaseous fuels can be manufactured from solid fuels.
(2) Relatively cheap and easily available.
(3) These are easy to transport.
(4) As it has a low combustion rate and thermal efficiency, it has least risk of fire hazards compared with that of liquid and gaseous fuel.
(5) Easy and convenient storage is possible.
(1) Combustion rate is low and control on combustion is not so easy.
(2) It has low thermal efficiency.
(3) Ash is produced on combustion and its disposal is difficult.
(4) It burns with low smoke flame.
(5) It has low calorific value.
(6) It cannot be used in IC engine.
(7) Storage, transportation and handling are not economic.