>> Other Subject
Discussed the ways that phonology, orthography, morphology, and syntax can be used in lesson planning and teaching ELLs.
1. Find a content area textbook.
2. Reproduce a page of the text (scan or retype). Find examples in the chosen text of the different academic language structures Spurlin identifies that may cause problems for second language learners.
3. Discuss in paragraphs why your students might have difficulty understanding the textbook page you chose.
Draw on the implications from phonology, morphology, orthography, and syntax to explain, in two to three paragraphs, how you would help an ELL student strive to understand the text page.
- Chosen text
- Academic language structures
- Reason for difficulties in understanding
- Helping an ELL student