Reference no: EM131079394
This is about professional presence:
Social and Behavioral Intelligence in Your Field
It is important to your professional image to know how to communicate verbally and physically. Imagine speaking to a person who is standing too close to you. This may make you feel uncomfortable because your personal space is infringed upon. Understanding body language (kinesics), spatial issues (proxemics), touch, and how people manage and respond to distances between individuals and physical space will be important in the workplace environment.
In this unit, you will have an opportunity to reflect on appropriate attire in several professions by viewing a set of slide scenarios for the field. Each set illustrates how selecting appropriate attire and behaviors can impact your professional image. You will have a chance to explore the relationship of your professional image to professionalism in a lifelong capacity. In addition, you will have the opportunity to investigate professionalism as it relates to communication, specifically etiquette and netiquette through the unit reading and information that is provided in the presentation titled "Credibility Robbers."
In this Assignment, you will have an opportunity to view a set of slides. After viewing all of the choices of sets of slides, choose one of the sets that best represents your desired career field. Then, describe and analyze what you viewed according to the following directions. Each paragraph should be a minimum of 3-4 sentences.
- View the sets of slides. Copyandpastintobrowserhttp://extmedia.kaplan.edu/genEd/CS204/CS204_1502B/Professional_Behavior/html/index.html
Part 1: View and Analysis (3-4 paragraphs)
Describe and explain what you viewed. Answer the following questions in your response:
- Were the individuals professional?
- What made the individuals professional (consider attire, communication skills, presentation of self, etc.)?
- After reviewing the slides, describe areas that would be unprofessional in your field when considering attire and presentation of self?
- Include any additional thoughts.
Part 2: Personal Reflection and Connection (4 paragraphs)
- What is the appropriate attire for an individual in your profession?
- Note: you may want to research this by talking to those in your profession or researching appropriate attire for your profession as this may differ from what you viewed in the presentations. Review a brief overview of what is not appropriate attire in the majority of career fields.
- Describe what makes someone a professional in your field. Use research and/or reflect on your personal experiences and what you know about your profession (or the profession you will work in).
- What behavioral attributes do you practice that identify you as a professional (review the Unit 1 content for ideas)?
- What attributes, such as attire, communication skills, and presentation of self, do you possess that make you professional?