Reference no: EM131386101
Topic: Citing specific examples, critically discuss the relationship between process design and facility layout. 1000 words needed in one week. Will provide the reading and reference materials as well.
Please note the below outlines requirement for this assignment.
OPERATIONS MANAGEMENT COURSE ASSESSMENT
Required: Citing specific examples, critically discuss the relationship between process design and facility layout.
Your assignment answer must be grounded in an appropriate theoretical framework and show evidence of comprehensive original research (minimum 4 academic sources in addition to the core text book) into the subject matter. You are expected to provide insight and argument and not simply provide a description of the subject matter.
You should draw on concepts and theories discussed in Operations and Process Management, Principles and Practice for Strategic Impact, 4th edition, 2015, Slack, Brandon-Jones, Johnston, Betts, FT Prentice Hall, your module Study Guide, and from your wider reading and research to support your analysis and justify your critical factors and recommendations. You should only employ credible research sources. I suggest you consult the MBS Library Services for information on a wide range of research resources and services (e.g. Harvard Business Review). The Operations Management Course Reading List is available at:
You may also find the following sources useful:
Databases - http://subjects.library.manchester.ac.uk/content.php?pid=367728&sid=3810471
My learning essentials - http://www.library.manchester.ac.uk/academicsupport/mylearningessentials/ 3
Module Learning Outcomes:
A. Knowledge and understanding:
1) Describe how Operations Management, in manufacturing, service, private, public and voluntary sectors, fits within the overall organization and with other functions.
B. Intellectual Skills:
1) Outline the strategic role of Operations Management.
2) Describe the main layout types and their alternatives within the operations function.
3) Understand the factors that contribute to good process design.
4) Understand the importance of materials and supply chain management to ensure effective Operations Management.
5) Describe the development of quality management within an organizational context.
6) Appreciate the role of performance measurement and improvement within the operations function.
7) Apply operations concepts and techniques to address real operations problems.
C. Practical skills:
1) Apply a number of decision-making tools to problems faced by managers of an operation
2) Apply operations concepts and techniques to address real operations problems.
D. Transferable skills and personal qualities:
1) Know how to access journal articles on-line.