Microchip technologies eliminates

Assignment Help Business Management
Reference no: EM131253192

Microchip Technologies Eliminates

Sales Commissions Mitch Little started to question the conventional wisdom on sales commissions in the late 1990s, shortly after he became vice president for worldwide sales and applications at Microchip Technologies, a large semiconductor company based near Phoenix, Arizona. He managed 400 salespeople whose compensation was based on the industry standard- 60 percent base salary, 40 percent commissions. In what might be considered an act of sacrilege for the former salesman, Little discontinued commissions altogether! Under his new plan, salespeople received 90 percent of their compensation in a high base salary and the other 10 percent was linked to corporate (rather than individual) measures such as Microchip's total revenues, profits, and earnings per share. The result? Total sales soared-and the cost of sales remained the same. Attrition dropped and retention rose. Today Microchip is a $6.5 billion public company, and its revenues have jumped 46 percent over the past two years. It still maintains its commission- free 90/10 system-not only for the salesforce but also for virtually everyone who isn't an hourly worker, including the CEO and Little. Its alternative compensation scheme is one reason why Microchip has long been one of the top-performing firms in the semiconductor industry, ringing up 86 consecutive quarters of profits.

Discussion Questions

1. Why do you think this compensation system worked so well at Microchip Technologies?

2. Would such a compensation package work in all industries? Why? Why not?

Reference no: EM131253192

Responsible business in 21st century

In what ways is the company which you are analyzing applying social cost accounting? Give specific examples. Are they using financial indicators to measure social and environm

Analyses should be paragraph format

Label each Part of analysis, as Part I A., Part I B., Part II A, Part II B. Analyses should be comprehensive, fully supported/justified/explained, specific, and detailed in ra

Write at least three paragraphs what the topic was

Write at least three paragraphs and tell us what the topic was, why it was interesting to you and how you think it applies or has been applied in either businesses you have

Revenue maximizing price for a bundle

Having surveyed them he finds out that 2 of the pistachio buyers are willing to pay$2 for the almonds bag, while the other two are willing to only pay $1. Both of the almond

Prepare an paper that assesses a legal or ethical issue

Prepare an 12-page paper (not including the title and reference pages) that assesses a legal/ethical issue or situation relating to a current, previous, or potential future

Identified how these ethical issues were affected by laws

Write an organizational policy to address the IT-related ethical workforce privacy issue that you described in the Matrix, where you mapped key organizational issues and iden

Christine sitsit ask help for fee because

One of your students, Christine Sitsit ask help for fee because she is defensing her thesis. She ask 2400 pesos. Must students pay fee to defend their theses in your college

Question about fmc green river and fmc aberdeen

Question about FMC Green River and FMC Aberdeen - What strategies will Kenneth Daily need to consider as he plans to build inter-group relations and further develop the Green

Reviews

Write a Review

 
Free Assignment Quote

Assured A++ Grade

Get guaranteed satisfaction & time on delivery in every assignment order you paid with us! We ensure premium quality solution document along with free turntin report!

All rights reserved! Copyrights ©2019-2020 ExpertsMind IT Educational Pvt Ltd