Reference no: EM131035888 , Length: word count:2000
The total word count for the this assessment is 2000 words. It comprises 4 short-answer questions at 250 words each and 1 at 1000 words.
1. According to Delfabbro (2009) games of chance can be classified across four dimensions. Explain one of these dimensions and identify a form of gambling at each extreme point of this dimension.
2. Do you agree with the statement that 'people gamble because it is fun'? Explain why or why not.
3. Using the history of gambling in the USA, describe the economic and technological influences on the expansion of gambling.
4. Reflect on what you have learnt so far in this unit. Have you found any of the material insightful or challenging to the view you had on gambling before you started the unit? Why do you think this is?
You have $500 in your pocket and must gamble this at Crown Casino, in Melbourne, Victoria, Australia. You want to maximise your chances of winning (or more accurately minimise your losses) and can only play one game. The games to choose from are poker machines, blackjack, traditional baccarat, roulette 0, roulette 00, and craps, and you are really looking for the game with the best odds. In your answer you need to state your choice of game and provide an example of your betting strategy. You should also explain how the game you have chosen is played and briefly indicate why you preferred this over the other choices, in terms of providing you with the best odds.
Short Answer marking criteria
- Clear, coherent essay structure
- Consistent argument
- Succinct expression
- Use of relevant material/references
- Adherence to good writing practice (spelling/grammar)