Reference no: EM13719281
1. Are there any similarities or connections between these seven individuals? What questions would you want to ask the families to answer these questions?
2. In your opinion, are these seven deaths connected? Why or why not?
1. Recalling your knowledge of the function of organelles, what function of the cells was interrupted in these patients? Could this loss of function lead to the death of these individuals? Why or why not?
2. Given the data in the autopsy, were there any reports that seemed inconsistent with the immediate cause of death?
1. For each metabolite listed in the table, describe its role in cellular respiration? Are they substrates or products? What is their main function?
2. Are there any abnormalities in the levels of these metabolites in the victims? Develop a hypothesis about which pathway may be af ected based on these abnormalities.
3. Explain your reasoning for your hypothesis.
1. What affect would cyanide have on the electron transport chain and the production of ATP? Explain your answer.
2. Given what you now know about the action of cyanide on cellular respiration, explain why the patients died of lack of oxygen while their blood oxygen levels were normal?
3. Would artificial respiration or oxygenation have saved these people? Why or why not?
4. Looking back at the information you have about the people before they got sick, can you suggest a possible source of the cyanide poisoning? How should public health oi cials and police respond to this tragedy?