>> Strategic Management
Choose a global business form the following :
- Milk industry (in Australia and New Zealand)
- Car industry (especially Peugeot in China)
- On line retailing especially Alibaba vs Amazon (we choose this topics , so please do on this)
- Container shipping - Maersk)
- Woolworths and Coles operating overseas markets
- Organic food company trying to expand in international market
- Health and fitness company
- Any small to medium size company in Australia which is trying to expand
Note: You need to discuss your choice with your lecturer before you start your assignment.
- Discussion on theory maximum 20%
- This assignment is in report form with the following headings:
- Executive summary
- Apply "AAA" framework which includes Adaptation, Aggregation and Arbitrage
- Porters 3 generic strategies (cost leadership, differentiation, focus and Hybrid)
- Diversification and Integration
- Competitive advantage
- Absolute advantage
- Your comments or any recommendations
- References Harvard style
- Every member needs to bring at least 2 articles which the group would use and add that articles with your report with reference page. There is no need to submit the articles on BB.
- Students need to submit a soft copy on BB and hard copy on Lvl 6 by due date.
- To do well groups need to do a quality research and apply the above concepts from the subject.
Pankaj Ghemawat's well-known "AAA Triangle" framework to describe three generic approaches to global value creation.
Adaptation strategies seek to increase revenues and market share by tailoring one or more components of a company's business model to suit local requirements or preferences.
Aggregation strategies focus on achieving economies of scale or scope by creating regional or global efficiencies; they typically involve standardizing a significant portion of the value proposition and grouping together development and production processes.
Arbitrage is about exploiting economic or other differences between national or regional markets, usually by locating separate parts of the supply chain in different places.
You should discuss with your lecturer a global business that you plan to review.
Examples of global businesses are:
Car industry - especially Peugeot in China
Milk Industry - especially the competition between Australian and New Zealand companies (also look at Saputo).
On-line retailing - especially Alibaba vs. Amazon
Container Shipping - start with Maersk
Other businesses as agreed with your lecturer.
This is a group assignment. Every member of the group is expected to be able to discuss all areas of the report. You should meet many times and discuss the issues identified in the report.
Each member of the group will be responsible for bringing at least two journal articles to the discussion. Each student will be identified in an appendix to the assignment along with the two journal articles this student brought to the discussion and a short paragraph about why these journal articles are relevant to the assignment. The ideas from these journal articles will be captured and discussed in the main body of the report.
In the first half of the report you introduce ideas, then, in the second half of the report you will discuss and evaluate these ideas to identify what is most important.
This is a short report, so fill it with ideas and discussion. Descriptive material has negligible value and should be avoided. We are seeking analysis, discussion and recommendation, enriched by ideas found in journal articles.
Preview Container content
ON LINE RETAILING
Online retailing is a form of e-commerce which enables consumers to purchase directly the goods and services from a retailer or seller through internet. In more technical words online retailing or online shopping is B2C (business to consumer) marketing model through internet. When a business buys from a business it is called B2B (business to business) online shopping. The concept of online retailing is eliminating the concept of physical appearance or brick and mortal structures of retailers where consumers go and purchase the goods or services. Looking at the convenience provide by online retailers consumers prefer to shop online. In this report we will be discussing the two major giants of online retailing: Alibaba and Amazon.
Gone are those days where the presence of physical structure defined the success of the retailers. Now, with the growth in e-commerce giant retailers are providing online store interfaces to the consumers where they can do shopping without physically visiting the brick and mortar retail stores.