Reference no: EM13726001
Diversity Management is broader/more inclusive than employment equity. The current labour market includes four generations in the workplace and an increased reliance on migrant workers; diversity in the workplace is greater than ever. Not only are the work teams more diverse, but also with a global market, so are businesses clients. Diversity, generally means differences, any difference that you can conceive: height, weight, eye color, right handed vs. left handed, gender, physical ability, age, ethnicity, and on a deeper level: parental status, sexual orientation, beliefs, values, work style, etc.
- Source:The textbook and from an article by Kathline Holmes
Instructions for PART I:
1. This assignment requires you to prepare a written team report (content details required are noted below).
2. Team composed of regular groups that have formed for this class.
3. Prepare a word-processed file of no more than 7-8 pages, 1.5 spaces with a font size of 12.
4. Create a Table of Contents in proper format.
5. You also encourage to visit the Ontario Human Rights web site and/or The Ontario Ministry of Labour web site.
6. You must conduct secondary research and cite a minimum of 3 different sources utilizing standard APA format for all aspects of your report (title page, page numbering, in text citations, references, etc.).
Assignment: Diversity Management
Indie Software is a company that has employees who are of different age groups (traditionalists, baby boomers, Gen X and Y) and ethnicity. Recent new hires have added to the diversity of the company, some of them have different sexual orientations and parental status compared to the employees already working within the company. The first few days has seen some awkwardness among the employees and management feels that having all employees attend a presentation on diversity and interact in an activity will help create harmony.As part of the HR team, you have been asked to prepare a presentation and an activity designed to:
- Integrate all employees in a multicultural workforce
- Use diversity to enhance the organization's effectiveness
Conduct research on existing/new 'Diversity Management' programs or initiatives in order that your team has a good understanding of how best to prepare your report.
Each team is to prepare a 7-8 pages report based on their findings. Your report should include:
1. Cover page-Title page
2. Table of content
3. An Introduction
4. Provide some background information on diversity management
5. Identify 3 specific best practices (programs/initiatives) that are currently being used in business today
6. Draw a conclusion by outlining and describing a specific activity that can be utilized in a workplace to promote the acceptance of people who are different.
7. Use the following questions as a guideline to design the activity.
- Consider the perspective of the existing employees at Indie - how would they feel?
- Consider the perspective of the new hires to Indie - how would they feel?
- Consider your own perspective - are there positions, orientations, values or traditions that you hold that may influence your own approach to this task?
- Consider the ways in which one can re-examine him/herself to become integrative in a diverse workplace?
- Consider - how has completing this assignment changed you?
- Identify three unique references using standard APA format
- Report style/format
i. Your report should be free of spelling/grammatical errors.
ii. In a form acceptable for business and professional purposes.
Part II Presentation:
Demonstrate the activity you have designed in part, or the entire thing. The order of presentations will be randomized.