>> Other Subject
1. Discuss what you think might be roadblocks to implementing the standard ANSI/AIHA Z10 in a typical manufacturing organization. Which sections might prove to be the most challenging?
2. Since risk cannot be reduced to zero, the ALARP concept is often applied. What might be some pitfalls to applying this concept?
3. The stated primary purpose of Z10 is to reduce the risk of occupational injuries, illnesses, and fatalities. As noted in the course text, zero risk is not likely to be achievable, so acceptable risk levels must be defined. What about a goal of zero injuries? Is that achievable? How does "acceptable" risk affect injury reduction goals? Support your discussion with at least two references.
4. "Management Leadership and Employee Participation" has been said to be the most important section of the ANSI/AIHA Z10 standard. Provide your opinion as to which section might be the second most important. Support your discussion with examples from personal experience.
5. Compose a safety policy statement for your current organization (or an organization for which you previously worked), following the guidelines in the course textbook. Be certain it is specific to the organization and not just a series of generic statements.
6. What are some actions that should be taken by a safety practitioner when an organization's safety culture starts to drift into a negative state? Provide examples that illustrate your point.
7. What types of management system issues are targeted in the planning process of Z10 section 4.0? Provide an example of each issue.
8. Most organizations hire contractors in some capacity, either to aid in production work or to provide ancillary services, such as cleaning, maintenance, remodeling, and food service. Discuss how a contractor's operations could adversely affect the health and safety of an organization's employees. What procedures should be in place to prevent any adverse effects?
9. Explain the differences between authority, responsibility, and accountability as they apply to OSH program management. In your discussion, provide examples of how your current organization (or a past one) implements these concepts. Is it effective? How can you tell? What recommendations do you have for improvement?
10. A recent OSHA inspection in your machine shop identified several serious deficiencies in occupational noise control. Serious violations were issued citing 29 CFR 1910.95(i)(2) and 29 CFR 1910.95(k). Using the PDCA framework, develop a plan that will correct the deficiencies and ensure that the violations do not recur.
Manuele, F. A. (2014). Advanced safety management: Focusing on Z10 and serious injury prevention (2nd ed.). Hoboken, NJ: Wiley.