Reference no: EM131109845
Final Essay Instructions and Essay Question
The Final Essay will require you to respond to one broad based question about criminal justice administration. In essence, you will be asked to demonstrate critical thinking about controversial issues in criminal justice administration and take a position on which course of action would be the best approach for criminal justice administrators. You must format your essays as you would a formal paper, following the guidelines set forth for papers in this course. To adequately respond to the question, you will need to write at least 5 pages (not including the title, abstract, and resource pages.) The essays are open book/open notes.
Final Essay Question
Truth is the key to making good and well-informed decisions in management. However, criminal justice organizations in some jurisdictions do not practice the ethics of truth. They do not create trust in their ability to deal with their citizens and fellow criminal justice organizations with truthfulness in a court of law. Many years ago some folks said, "if we don't clean this mess up, someone else is going to clean it up for us." The article you are reading for this essay was written in 2007, about three years after this old issue came back with a vengeance. It, too, will cost money, if you do not have a decisional policy point and procedure in place before that court date arrives. Do not ever think that cannot happen here, because it always does. Two very key cases here: Brady v. Maryland and Giglio v. United States.
The writer poses the question, "Should Police Officers Who Lie Be Terminated as a Matter of Public Policy?"
As you strive to answer the question, keep the following in mind:
· It is simple, but is it fair?
· Is it possible that you could lose some really good personnel who only messed up once in their whole career?
· What effect will such a drastic measure have on the personnel's families?
· If you keep them, will it affect the overall credibility of your agency?
· What conclusion does the writer reach? Why or why not?
· What policy would you recommend for your chief, sheriff, warden, state police commissioner, and/or any other affiliated executive with whom you may work?