Reference no: EM13754346
Question: Choose from one of the three topics below and write a short research paper (2-3 pages long). The short report should include the source of information identified in the text as well as a reference listing at the end of report. Divide the report to sections (problem statement, introduction, discussion, etc).
Topic 1: Concentrating Solar Power
Concentrating solar power is one of the most promising technologies in the area of renewable energy and it presents several heat transfer challenges.
1. Give a brief introduction to CSP.
2. Describe how a solar trough works.
3. Describe how a solar tower works.
4. What is the current state of thermal energy storage for CSP.
Topic 2: Phase-change materials for thermal energy storage
Related to the previous topic, one of the potential solutions to the energy storage problem for CSP is the use of phase-change materials (PCM).
1. What are phase-change materials and how do they work?
2. What are the advantages of PCMs over other thermal energy storage systems?
3. What are the disadvantages of PCMs?
Topic 3: Earth's energy budget
One of the most hotly debated issues today is climate change. Central to the discussion on climate change is the earth's energy budget. Give a short description of it, what are the processes involved and how much do they contribute to the overall budget.