Reference no: EM13789817
1. The Dybvig Corporation's common stock has a beta of 1.21. If the risk-free rate is 3.5 percent and the expected return on the market is 11 percent, what is Dybvig's cost of equity capital?"
2. Shanken Corp. issued a 30-year, 6.2 percent semiannual bond 7 years ago. The bond currently sells for 108 percent of its face value. The company's tax rate is 35 percent. "
a. What is the pretax cost of debt?
b. What is the aftertax cost of debt?
c. Which is more relevant, the pretax or the aftertax cost of debt? Why?
3. Mullineaux Corporation has a target capital structure of 70 percent common stock and 30 percent debt. Its cost of equity is 13 percent, and the cost of debt is 6 percent. The relevant tax rate is 35 percent. What is Mullineaux's WACC?"
4. In the previous problem, suppose the company's stock has a beta of 1.2. The risk-free rate is 3.1 percent, and the market risk premium is 7 percent. Assume that the overall cost of debt is the weighted average implied by the two outstanding debt issues. Both bonds make semiannual payments. The tax rate is 35 percent. What is the company's WACC?
5. Filer Manufacturing has 8.3 million shares of common stock outstanding. The current share price is $53, and the book value per share is $4. Filer Manufacturing also has two bond issues outstanding. The first bond issue has a face value of $70 million and a coupon rate of 7 percent and sells for 108.3 percent of par. The second issue has a face value of $60 million and a coupon rate of 7.5 percent and sells for 108.9 percent of par. The first issue matures in 8 years, the second in 27 years."
6. Titan Mining Corporation has 9.3 million shares of common stock outstanding and 260,000 6.8 percent semiannual bonds outstanding, par value $1,000 each. The common stock currently sells for $34 per share and has a beta of 1.20, and the bonds have 20 years to maturity and sell for 104 percent of par. The market risk premium ?s 7 percent, T-bills are yielding 3.5 percent, and Titan
Mining's tax rate is 35 percent. ."
a. What is the firm's market value capital structure?
b. If titan Mining is evaluating a new investment project that has the same risk as the firm's typical project, what rate should the firm use to discount the project's cash flows?
7. Given the following information for Huntington Power Co., find the WACC. Assume the company's tax rate is 35 percent.
Debt: 5,000 6 percent coupon bonds outstanding, $1,000 par value, 25 years to maturity, selling for 105 percent of par; the bonds make semiannual payments.
Common stock: 175,000 shares outstanding, selling for $58 per share; the beta is 1.10.
Market: 7 percent market risk premium and 5 percent risk-free rate."