Reference no: EM13776714
This assignment focuses on vignette analysis and direct application of course concepts to the persons and situations presented in the vignette for each question. All discussions must take into account the legal and ethical considerations, as well as issues of culture and human diversity that may pertain to the situation presented below. Cultural information is in both the course text and DSM 5. You may use alternative cultural resources to enhance your work. Legal/Ethical information is in Chapter 16 (Kring, et al 2014). You are also encouraged to familiarize yourself with and apply the laws and ethics of mental health professionals in your state or country.
Jose and Maria are a middle aged couple of Latino descent. The couple has 2 children, both away at college. Jose and Maria were referred by their priest for counseling, due to Maria's history of depression and suicidal ideation. Maria tells you, "life has always been a struggle for me. I was raised by my grandmother who tried to protect me, but I was molested many times as a little girl. I've often wanted to end my life, but my religious beliefs don't allow me to". Maria does report periods of joy and happiness in her life, especially regarding her children. She admits that during the last 5 years, she has had a few periods where she has actually felt euphoric, energized and elated with life. These times are brief and infrequent and, "I return to that suffocating place of despair." She describes her husband as, "a good man. I don't know why he has stayed with me all these years." Jose is very supportive of his wife, but his worry about her has resulted in exhaustion, missing work and obsessively checking that all the kitchen knives are accounted for. He tells you that, "sometimes Maria cries out in her sleep and I don't know how to help her. I worry that she will do something to end her life during one of these night terrors. Even though she's never tried, what if it happens and I'm not able to stop her."
Consider Mood, Anxiety, OCD and Trauma Related Disorders:
1. Taking into account the genetic, neurobiological, sociocultural, familial and environmental factors of assessment and diagnosis, what are your diagnostic thoughts for Maria? What about Jose? Use the DSM-5 criteria to formulate your diagnostic impressions for Maria and Jose, supporting what you see in the vignette that supports your diagnostic impressions.
2. Using the psychotherapeutic and pharmacological interventions discussed in the text, describe an initial treatment plan for Maria and Jose. Remember to treat the persons in the vignette, and not the diagnosis. Also remember to consider culture and legal/ethical issues.
- Assess the major diagnostic categories of the DSM 5
- Evaluate legal and ethical issues related to psychopathology
- Consider the impact of culture and human diversity issues
- Examine current research on the theory treatment and prevention of mental illness
- Explore the existing etiologic theories of psychopathology and the supportive research when such