Reference no: EM131005775 , Length: 4000 words
IT802 Researching ICT Trends and Issues
LEARNING OUTCOMES COVERED:
• Demonstrate knowledge of the research process and key terminology related to research methods.
• Compare and contrast research methodologies commonly used in ICT research
General Assessment Instructions
• This is an assessment that will require research and the use of the internet.
• Make sure you reference your sources properly, using APA V6 style.
• You must use a word processor to write your assignment and submit an electronic copy (for originality checking) and a hard copy.
Special Assessment Instructions
PROCESS: The work must be completed individually with no help from peers.
Study the relevant readings and research peer-reviewed resources on the web.
TASK: Critique a selection of recent peer-reviewed conference papers and journal articles (at least five of each) related to a specific IT research area (e.g. network security). Include an annotated bibliography that indicates for each paper and article the research paradigm, type of research, research question or hypothesis, and methodology.
WORD LIMIT: 4,000
APA format Anderson, N., Lankshear, C., Timms, C., & Courtney, L. (2008). ‘Because it's boring, irrelevant and I don't like computers': Why high school girls avoid professionally-oriented ICT subjects. Computers & Education, 50(4), 1304-1318.
Main aim of the study/Research question The main aim is to identify and interpret factors associated with low female participation rates in ICT professions and also educational pathways. A second purpose is to identify ways that the EQ and ICT industries can work on increasing participation rates. There are five objectives overall for this project, but this paper reports on the first of these five. It focuses on obtaining a "rich and extensive data set for female students at years 11 and 12 and at the point of entry to university study pertaining to their views and decisions about ICT programme and careers." (p. 1308)
Methodology used Overall it uses a survey approach involving a questionnaire n=1453 senior high school girls.
However, the project has many data collection phases (questionnaire and interviews with many different groups of girls). The questionnaire was piloted. This data was not included here. 31 schools were sent the questionnaire. 26 returned it. Respondents were divided into Takers (of ICT) and non-Takers.
The main findings are presented as statistical data using non-parametric statistics. One interesting outcome is that the responses provided minimal support for the factors that are reported in the literature presented here most often associated with low female participation in ICT. Although these factors were only tapped into in a broad sense (for example "There are too many boys in this subject").
Relevance to the focus of my lit review
It gives a broad understanding of the context of girls and ICT but lacks any subtlety or real detail or discussion of the issues. The authors themselves are aware of this.
Key Quote/s p. 1314 "the survey found little support within the current study population for the factors typically associated with low rates of female participation in ICT careers and traditionally recognized career pathways in the form of high status school subjects with ‘face validity' for professional computing."
Software Project Ideas
• Detecting E Banking Phishing Websites Using Associative Classification
• Vehicle Tracking Using Driver Mobile Gps Tracking
• Fingerprint Based ATM System
• Employee Hourly Attendance By Barcode Scan
• Weather Forecasting Using Data Mining
• Railway Tracking and Arrival Time Prediction
• Android Local Train Ticketing Project
• Android Patient Tracker
• Opinion Mining For Restaurant Reviews
• Android Employee Tracker
• Fake Product Review Monitoring And Removal For Genuine Online Product Reviews Using Opinion Mining
• Opinion Mining For Social Networking Site
• Automated Payroll With GPS Tracking And Image Capture
• Unique User Identification Across Multiple Social Networks
• Secure Electronic Fund Transfer Over Internet Using DES
• Diagnostic Centre Client Coordination System
• Online Diagnostic Lab Reporting System
• Online Loan Application & Verification System
• Multi Website Advertisement Handling System
• Airport Network Flight Scheduler
• Public Photography Contest With Live Voting
• Criminal Investigation Tracker with Suspect Prediction
• E Healthcare - Online Consultation And Medical Subscription
• Automated College Timetable Generator
• Internet Based Live Courier Tracking And Delivery System
• Credit Card Fraud Detection
• AI Multi Agent Shopping System
• Tab Based Library Book Availability & Location Finder On Wifi
• Matrimonial Portal Project
• Secure ATM Using Card Scanning Plus OTP
• Secure Lab Access Using Card Scanner Plus Face Recognition
• College automation project
• Online Election System Project
• Automated Attendance System
• Mobile Attendance System Project
• WiFi Shopping Guide Project
• Advanced Mobile Store
• Look Based Media Player
• Artificial Intelligence Dietician
• Android Voting System
• Android File finder and Sorting
• Android Tourist Guide Project
• Android AI Diet Consultant
• Android Blood Bank
• Bus Pass Android Project
• Android Based Parking Booking System
• Android Based Furniture Shopping
• Grocery Shopping Android
• Face Recognition Attendance System
• Media player Project
• Cargo Booking Software
• Mobile Banking Project
• Video Surveillance Project
• Farming Assistance Web Service
• • Cloud Based Local Train Ticketing System
• Android Bluetooth Chat
• Hotel Management Android Project
• Software Piracy Protection Project
• Mobile Network Stability
• Online Law System
• E Governance project
• Festival Calendar System with Business Promotion
• Student Examination Datacard