>> Basic Computer Science
Go to http://pricespy.co.nz/, http://www.buildtoorderpc.com or any another source that identifies the cost of computer components to configure a computer system (including all peripheral devices where needed) for use in one of the following four situations:
1. Home users – (but not gamers)
2. Game Systems
3. Office users – (but not servers)
4. Small business servers
Your objective is to:
Choose THREE of the above four categories. Design a system for each category you choose, with the best possible performance, and the lowest cost, within the cost limits shown below:
Cost Limits (i.e., UP TO this amount):
1) Home user: $1500;
2) Game System: $4500;
3) Office user: $2500;
4) Small business server: $3500
Note: These costs are the maximum cost you can use for that system; however you must try to design for the best performance for lowest cost (ie., best cost/performance ratio).
- Create a spreadsheet listing all of the components, their prices, the place where you could purchase, and the total cost,
- Explain why your choices are suitable for this type of computer.
Below is a list of the kinds of components you may come up with. Note: This list is JUST TO GIVE YOU AN IDEA – you might need to include more components, or less depending on the type of system you’ve chosen.
- Power Supply
- Hard Drive
- Video Card
- DVD Drive
- Audio Card
- Network Card
- Backup medium
- Operating System
- Office Software
NOTE: The “Store” where you can purchase components and computers can be an online store also, but MUST be located in New Zealand, and the products MUST be available for purchase at the time.
Find 2 laptop computers – one for a home user and the other for a game user, listing all the specifications of each laptop, and the advantages and disadvantages (listed in a table) of a laptop vs. a desktop for these two categories.
Research the phrase “RAID Hard Drive Arrays”, and write one paragraph (200 – 300 words) on what a “RAID Hard Drive” configuration is, giving a brief description of these 4 common RAID configurations:
- RAID 0
- RAID 1
- RAID 5
- RAID 10
Write a brief report for the user (or business) on Preventive maintenance for this machine.
Explain why it is necessary to apply these instructions for this computer. Include in your explanations and instructions the following:
PC preventive maintenance:
1. List 2 types of PC preventive maintenance.
2. What precaution you must take while undertaking preventive maintenance-
3. Describe in brief why do we require preventive maintenance of PCs-
4. List two software preventive maintenance tasks.
5. Describe two methods of software preventive maintenance.
6. What are software upgrades- Why do you require them-
7. What are computer viruses and what you need to do to keep your PC virus free-
8. Describe in brief different types of backup. Why do we require backups-
9. Describe what is a backup- List three backup media.
10. Discuss the different types of backup media.
11. Discuss what you understand by PC hardware maintenance.
12. Describe the purpose of hardware maintenance of PCs.
13. Describe why you require an antistatic strap while undertaking hardware maintenance.
14. List any 4 PC components that require hardware maintenance.
15. Describe in brief any two PC hardware maintenance tasks.
16. Describe preventive maintenance of: keyboard, mouse, monitor