Reference no: EM13995608
Principles of Management-
DQ 1 - Based on what you have read in the Griffin text, how would you define a manager? Can anyone be a manager? Why or why not?
DQ 2 - Explain how top management impacts ethics within an organization.
DQ 1 - Managers, most business decisions are made under conditions of either risk or uncertainty. In your opinion, is it easier to make a decision under a condition of risk or a condition of uncertainty?
DQ 2 - Think of a major organization. Identify that organization and think through the SWOT analysis for that organization. What are the competitive advantages of the organization you identified? Explain how you arrived at that decision.
DQ 1 - Let us discuss the statement below. Include some external research via the DeVry University Library or credible Internet sites to support your opinion.
"Diversity is desirable for innovation, flexibility, and organizational success."Ans) I agree with your post. I also liked your site that you posted. It was very informative. I especially thought it was interesting that it listed the top ten economic benefits of diversity in the workplace.
DQ 2 - Discuss the reasons why small businesses are so important to the U.S. economy.
DQ 1 - Let's compare two jobs: an airline pilot and an airline ticket agent. Are these different jobs in terms of the five job characteristics approach?
DQ 2 - Successful organizations often go through a series of planned changes. How do you define the termplanned change? Give an example of a planned change. Can unplanned change be good for an organization? Explain.
Question 1. The _____ approach of going green is a good example of the firm's social responsibility in addition to demonstrating the highest degree of environmental sensitivity.
Question 2. The Ford Motor Company sold an auto parts company because profitability was low. The main environmental dimension considered was
Question 3. The_____ approach of going green is a good example of the firm's social responsibility in addition to demonstrating the highest degree of environmental sensitivity.
Question 4. Which of the following is usually the first type of international business in which a company gets involved?
Question 5. If Delta Airlines decides to buy a regional carrier, this would be an example of a(n) _____ plan.
Question 6. Identify the statement that is TRUE when comparing large and small businesses.
Question 7. Identify four skills that a manager needs in order to perform the job efficiently and effectively. Provide brief comments on each.
Question 8. Explain the differences among mergers, acquisitions, and alliances.
Question 9. Briefly explain the four different approaches to social responsibility that an organization can adopt.
Question 10. What are the connections between GATT and the WTO? Explain the role of the WTO.
Question 11. Briefly explain the situational influences on organizational design.
Question 12. Describe three environmental challenges of international management.
Question 13. Identify a company and write a brief SWOT analysis for that company.
Question 14. Briefly describe industries in which small businesses seem to be most effective and why this seems to be the case. In what area are small businesses least successful in comparison to large businesses?
Question 15. In what ways are virtual and learning organizations different from the typical organization?
1. One example of a firm studying it's _____ is an annual assessment of its labor supply.
2. Which of the following is the MOST common approach to the management of ethics?
3. Identify the statement that is TRUE when comparing large and small businesses.
DQ 1 - Should an organization have the right to select employees without the government's intervention? Explain your answer.
DQ 2 - Money is the most important form of motivation. Do you agree with this statement? Why or why not?
DQ 1 - Despite no scientific or empirical data to support the trait approach to leadership, many still believe there is an association between leadership behavior and certain traits. Why do you think these beliefs persist? In what ways is the use of the trait approach helpful to those who use it? In what ways is it harmful to those who use it?
DQ 2 - What are the similarities and differences of oral and written communication? What kinds of situations call for the use of oral methods? What situations call for the use of written communication?
Part H -
DQ 1 - Describe the differences between bureaucratic and decentralized control. Which do you believe is most effective in the management of an organization? Explain. Give one advantage and one disadvantage of each.
DQ 2- Identify and explain one system that provides applications within an organization. What do you believe are some of the benefits and drawbacks of the system? Give an example of the system other than the examples in the text.
1. When the dean of the college of business downsized the college from five departments to four departments, the dean primarily was performing the ____ function of management.
2. State supported universities receive money from state tax payers. Harvard University's endowmentis so large that Harvard is guaranteed significant income just from the interest the fund generates. The ____dimension of these competitors is different.
3. The expiration of a pharmaceutical drug patent allows generic drug makers to introduce the same chemical compound under a different name and at lower prices. This is an example of ____ for the developer of the original drug.
4. New York passed a law requiring no smoking in bars and restaurants. Owners who pressure bartenders and waiters to sell to people who are smoking in order to keep profits high are taking a(n)____ stance toward social responsibility. (Points : 2)
5. Coca-Cola is based out of Atlanta but reaches into hundreds of countries. The product is locally packaged, but the cola inside is essentially the same throughout the world. Coca-Cola is edging closer to being a(n) ____ business.
6. The growth of multinational corporations has left little room for distinction. Any perceived competitive advantage is quickly copied. However, an area for competitive advantage remains in the level of ____ organizations attract, motivate, and retain.
7. The ____ of Applebee's is to gain "weekly repeat guests through providing surprisingly friendlyhospitality, superior quality food, and world class service and value."
Part J- Explanatory Answers
1. Discuss the functions of management. Which function of management is the most important? Support your answer.
2. In order to be effective and efficient, CEOs must monitor both the internal and external environments. Is it more important for the CEO to monitor the organization's external or internal environment?Why?
3. You have recently been assigned as the ethics officer for your organization, as part of your responsibilities you have been asked to write a code of ethics. Discuss the three areas of special concern for managerial ethics that you will need to address specifically in the code of ethics.
4. There are several characteristics that an organization needs to possess to be considered a multicultural organization. Describe what a multicultural organization will look like using these characteristics.
5. Discuss a time in your professional or personal life when you had to implement a reaction plan. How did that plan differ from a contingency plan?
6. If you were considering starting you own business, what are the four major types of information would you include in your business plan?
7. Define the term reengineering. Discuss why an organization might need to engage in it.
8. Briefly explain what is meant by objective and judgmental performance evaluation. Discuss two methods of judgmental evaluation.
9. As a manager, in what types of situations should you use written communication? Briefly discuss the reasons why written communication would be best in these situations.
10. In your opinion, which two characteristics of effective controls are the most important? Why?
11. Compare and contrast the sociocultural and the political-legal dimensions of the general environment, with particular attention to how forces in one could affect the other.
12. Discuss the notion of social responsibility. Discuss how an organization is impacted when its adopts socially responsible practices.
13. Assume you accepted a transfer with your company to move overseas as a manager within the company's new international division. Discuss the general environmental challenges of international management that you will face in the global environment that you did not face in the domestic environment?
14. The CEO of your organization has developed two potential plans to help the organization cut costs. The CEO has asked you to form a group; the members of the group are to represent a cross-section of all the departments within the organization. The goal of the group is to discuss and decide which of the two proposed plans you should implement to cut costs. Discuss which type of group you would form and why. Discuss the advantages and disadvantages of the using groups to make decisions.
15. Describe the job characteristics approach to job design and explain how it is related to job enrichment and the creation of work teams.
16. Phil W. supervises a group of very competent workers. These employees are involved in a routine task, and the company has written standard operating procedures to cover most of the operation. Phil is trying to decide what leadership style would be most effective in dealing with this group of employees. Discuss the path-goal theory and the substitutes for leadership approach. Which one would you recommend to Phil to use? Why?
17. You are the plant manager at Acme Plastics. You are running two shifts, a day shift and an evening shift. Before the day shift leaves each day, the workers must get an adequate supply of raw materials from the warehouse for the evening shift to use. On several occasions, they have failed to do so. By the time the evening shift gets to work, the warehouse is locked up, and it takes about three hours to get someone out to unlock it and get the production line rolling again. The two shift supervisors are at each other's throats, and you have to do something to correct the situation. What is the basic problem causing this conflict? What could you do to solve it?