+1-415-670-9189
info@expertsmind.com
Find persons correlation coefficient
Course:- Basic Statistics
Reference No.:- EM13700207




Assignment Help
Expertsmind Rated 4.9 / 5 based on 47215 reviews.
Review Site
Assignment Help >> Basic Statistics

Does familiarity with neighbors lead to lower crime rates? A researcher has theorized that if neighbors know each other, then the crime rates will be lower than in communities in which neighbors do not have a relationship. When communities grow quickly the closeness of the community degrades. A study was done to see if there is a relationship between the crime rate and the percentage change in neighborhood population. 10 neighborhoods in a large metropolis were studied. The results are as follows.

Percentage Change in Neighborhood Population

29

2

11

17

7

6

51

13

19

7

Crime Rate (Crime per 1000 population)

173

35

132

127

69

53

223

104

99

45

1. Identify the Explanatory (X) and Response (Y) variable.

2. Find Persons Correlation Coefficient and determine if there exists a significant linear relationship.

3. Make a scatter plot of the data. Does the scatter plot support the decision from problem 2?

4. Find the Least Squares Regression Line for the data.

5. What percentage of variation in the crime rate that is explained by the linear relationship between the crime rate and the percentage of change in neighborhood population? (Hint: Coefficient of Determination)

6. Use the least squares regression line to predict the crime rate for a neighborhood with a change in population of 45 percent.




Put your comment
 
Minimize


Ask Question & Get Answers from Experts
Browse some more (Basic Statistics) Materials
Based on the results of the survey, could it be concluded that a majority (over 50%) of all University of California faculty members favor using these criteria? Explain.
The main part of the ACS contacts 250,000 addresses by mail each month, with follow-up by phone and in person if there is no response. Each household answers questions about
How large should n be so that Chebyshev's inequality guarantees that the estimate is within 5 centimeters from h, with probability at least 0.99?
Explain the difference between a left tail, two-tailed, and right tailed text. When would we choose a two tailed test? How can we tell the direction by looking at a pair of
For one of the first statistics exam, the coefficient of determination between hours studied and the grade earned was 80 percent. The standard error of estimate was 10.
Select another sample of 30 scores from the same population, what measure of central tendency is likely to vary least between your first and second sample?
The owner of the company estimates a 21.75% chance that market demand will be low, a 35.5% chance that it will be medium, and a 42.75% chance that it will be high. What deci
One of the 4 bus drivers is also randomly selected. Let Y denote the number of students on his bus. Compute the expectations and variances of X and Y.