>> Other Subject
Choose one of the following major criminal justice areas: law enforcement, prisons/corrections, the courts, Homeland Security, private security, or emergency management. This component will serve as the area for which your senior project will be based.
Identifying the Challenge
For your senior project, choose one of the following major criminal justice areas: law enforcement, prisons/corrections, the courts, Homeland Security, private security, or emergency management. This component will serve as the area for which your senior project will be based.
Next, identify a challenge or area of improvement within your chosen area. (For example, one may choose corrections as the topic area and violence in prisons as the problem). Over the weeks of this course, you will progressively research, learn about, write and present on a solution to the challenge or area of improvement from both a tactical and administrative perspective. Receive approval from your professor on your chosen topic. Additional project expectations are described in week 8.
Write a two to three (2-3) page paper in which you address the following:
- Outline the context of the problem or challenge, including the history and any policy decisions that have contributed to the situation.
- Why is it important that the problem be addressed?
- Who is impacted internally and externally?
- Why do you feel the problem hasn't already been solved?
- Use at least three (3) quality references. Note: Wikipedia and other Websites do not qualify as academic resources.
The specific course learning outcomes associated with this assignment are:
- Explain how historical analysis informs the context of policy or situations.
- Use technology and information resources to research issues in criminal justice.
- Write clearly and concisely about criminal justice using proper writing mechanics.
Preview Container content
Now a days, prison violence has manifested as one of the major issues to be tackled in the law enforcement domain in United States of America. Prison violence is not new, it do happening on daily basis in some part or other part of the national prisons. They are number of reasons that contribute to the prison violence like gang rivalries,
overcrowding, minor disputes, prison designs etc. They are number of policy decisions of the government like high recidivism rates, high rate of offenders returning to prison, new criminal offenses inclusion to the penal codes, drug war and related legislations and policies,
increased role of the victim and victim advocacy in the parole process all contributed to high occupancy rate of the prisons and is indirectly contributing to the prison violence as a major factor of influence(Gaes,1985)(McCorkle,1995).