Reference no: EM13823966
Period 3: Evidence Based Management
Read Pfeffer& Sutton:
Pfeffer, J. & Sutton, R.(2006). Hard facts, dangerous half-truths, and total nonsense: Profiting from evidence-based management. Boston, Massachusetts: Harvard Business School Press. ISBN: 1591398622
Chapter 4- Do the Best Organizations Have the Best People?, pp. 85-108
Chapter 8- Are Great Leaders in Control of Their Companies?, pp. 187-214
Chapter 9- Profiting from Evidenced-Based Management, pp. 217-238
Review: Sample of a thematic coding as a guide for the project 2. Please note: Do not copy the list of themes in the sample. Develop your own original themes for analysis.
Optional Reading Materials
You can read these articles to provide you a background on different leadership theories and leader values/characteristics that can help you in developing interview questions and in the preparation for the project 3:
- Resick, Christian, Hanges, Paul, Dickson, Marcus, &Mitchelson, Jacqueline (2006).A Cross-Cultural Examination of the Endorsement of Ethical Leadership. Journal of Business Ethics, 63: 345–359. Click here for the article.
- Dorfman,Peter, Javidan, Mansour, Hanges, Paul, Dastmalchian, Ali, & House, Robert (2012). GLOBE: A twenty year journey into the intriguing world of culture and leadership. Journal of World Business 540, 15 pages. Click here for the article.
- Mulla, Zubin & Krishnan, Venkat R (2011). Transformational Leadership:Do the Leader’s Morals Matter and Do the Follower’s Morals Change? Journal of Human Values, 17(2) 129–143. Click here for the article.
- Discuss the advantages and disadvantages of evidence-based management as applied in an organization. Specifically, consider the alternative ways how organizations can and should develop evidence that describes the effectiveness of alternative management and leadership approaches.
- What evidence (qualitative or quantitative) is used by organizations you are involved with as an employee or volunteer? What are the trade-offs for organizations in the costs to develop evidence compared to the benefits of its use?
Project 3: Interview Followers (intv)
The main purpose of the project is to determine "what followers want from leaders." To address this central qualitative research question, you will conduct interviews of five (5) employees from different multicultural organizations, located in your country of residence. Collect and code the interviews in order to identify themes that emerge. Include the qualitative method section in the paper. Analyze and discuss each theme that you identify from interview responses as part of your findings. Then, compare and contrast your findings from current leadership literature, including global and cross-cultural studies. Based on the evidence you develop, what can you suggest to leaders? Identify and include Biblical principles relating to Christian and ethical leadership. Lastly, attach all original interview transcripts and coding upon submission.
For your interview protocol, include this required template statement: “This is Professor (first and last name) and I personally endorse the data collection efforts of (student name) as part of a course project for (course code and title). I have reviewed and approved the interview questions. If you wish to contact me please do so at (email address).”
Prepare not more than 10 interview questions and send to me via a separate e-mail for review and approval. Please send to me your draft interview questions at the first week of the period prior to starting your actual interviews. The output of this project is not publishable since you are not required to apply for the human subjects research board approval. This project is intended to satisfy the course requirement only.
Format: Expected length is about 11 pages (double space), excluding attachments; APA style.