In the imaginative arts and scientific literature, an acknowledgment (also spelled acknowledgement) is an expression of gratitude for assistance in creating a literary or artistic work.
In receipt of credit by way of acknowledgment rather than authorship point out that the person or organization did not have a direct hand in producing the work in question, but it might have contributed funding, analysis, or support to the author(s). Various plans exist for classifying acknowledgments.
THE BASICS OF ACKNOWLEDGING SOURCES IN ACADEMIC WRITING
• Why Acknowledgment sources required.
• What is plagiarism in content?
• In-Text referencing systems (Harvard, APA) in Acknowledging sources.
• Footnotes uses
• The Reference list (Bibliography)
The most of the work which is written by the student in the course work is based on other authors thoughts. Whenever student have taken something from another author (that is said, students have taken an author’s theory, opinion, idea, example, winding up, or findings), the student must have to say from where it has been taken, and where the original can be found.
WHY ACKNOWLEDGE IS ACEDEMIC SOURCES?
• It shows that you have read and understood the research published in your area of interest
• It has took authority to what you are writing
• It helps make the work more strengthen in your argument
• It helps to support your own ideas
• It provides details or background that what you are writing
• It helps to provide interest
• It helps to avoid the charge of plagiarism.
WHAT IS PLAGIARISM?
If we don’t acknowledge sources we may be indicted of plagiarism. Plagiarism is the take action of using another person’s ideas as if they are your own or o make them own. It’s a very solemn infringe of academic protocol. Your assignment will be got a fail mark, and in extreme cases, you may fail your course.It doesn’t matter whether the original content or ideas are taken from another sources, or those of another student—you must not copy without giving your ideas or thoughts.
In-Text referencing systems (Harvard, APA) in acknowledging sources.
There is so many way to acknowledge your sources; the more common systems are the footnoting system and the Author-Date system which is also known as the Harvard system. The Most lecturers at the University of Canberra now desire the Author-Date system or the Harvard system. But need to follow this rule:
1. There is need to ask the tutor for his/her preferred referencing system and style for any assignment.
2. The system and style which is used, need to use it consistently by following a referencing guide.
Some referencing style is given which student need to follow.
USING THE AUTOMATIC FOOTNOTING PROGRAM IN WORD PROCESSOR
The world’s most word-processing applications have an automatic footnoting system. The student should learn to use this (use the Help command), slightly than put the footnote numbers in manually. Automatic footnoting will agree to you to insert or delete footnote references without having to change the numbers yourself—the right number is put into this automatically and all the other references are automatically renumbered.
Automatic footnoting also make sure that a space for the footnote is automatically placed at the foot of the page on which the reference occurs.
THE REFERENCE LIST/BIBLIOGRAPHY
Even though technically a reference list is not the same as a bibliography, there is generally no difference between them as far as undergraduate study is concerned—they are the same thing with diverse names. Some people entitle it reference list, and others term it bibliography, but the same rules pertain.
At the time of the submission of assignment you should give a list of all the sources you have referred to. Your reference list/bibliography must be having full and accurate details
Writing Academic Acknowledgements
The first step is to use the appropriate tone and form.
• The acknowledgment page can be anything it can either be a list or a more fluid paragraph. It would be fine to write, for an example "I would like to thank Professor Henderson, Dr. Matthews, etc." until you've worked your way through the list.
• It would also be perfectly satisfactory to accept to address each person individually and more personally: for example "I would like to thank Professor john for her expert advice and encouragement throughout this difficult project, as well as Dr. parker for his brilliance in the lab."
• Some people assume some difficulty to emphasizing certain people's help over other people's help, in which case the list form in alphabetical order is a perfectly acceptable method of writing an Acknowledgment.
Start with the most essential teachers.
All-purpose, the most genuine person who is to be thanking in the acknowledgment is your thesis or dissertation advisor or major professor overseeing your project, which is followed by any members of the thesis committee and other supervising academics directly involved with your project.
In the all aspect of the Acknowledgment, it's helpful to think in groups, even going to far as to format all the thank-yous of a particular group in a single sentence which is given linke "I would like to thank Dr. stiefn, Dr. jorj, and Professors john for their extraordinary support in this thesis writing process."
Making the List other helpers.
In these process lab assistants or anyone who helped you with coursework or contributed to the project itself in any way are included. Other classmates for whom you think that they give their contribution to the project directly would also be appropriate to thank in this category.
Identify Address financial group
If your project has received any financial support from a foundation or research group, such as a grant, a comradeship, or a scholarship, it would be suitable to thank the foundation or organization by name and list any personal contacts you might've had with the group.
If your scholarship at the University was supported by any fellowships or scholarships, it would also be appropriate to name them in this section: "This project would have been impossible without the support of the Joseph j. Joseph Foundation, the Reese's Peanut Butter scholarship, and the Guggenheim Group."
Situate more personal thank-yous and emotional supporters in the last
Most of the people like to thank their parents personally, as well as any friends, partners, or other associates who contributed in their emotional well-being throughout the completion of the project at hand.
I would like to express my special thanks of gratitude to my teacher (Name of the teacher) as well as our principal (Name of the principal)who gave me the golden opportunity to do this wonderful project on the topic (Write the topic name), which also helped me in doing a lot of Research and i came to know about so many new things I am really thankful to them.
Secondly i would also like to thank my parents and friends who helped me a lot in finalizing this project within the limited time frame.