Everywhere, everyday digital technology is generating new promises, new ways to work and play also to transact and interact. We are surrounded by digital identities also data which requires to be exchanged over networks with business, people as well as devices.
Digital security is protection of your digital identity. It is the network or Internet equivalent of your physical identity. Digital securities include the tools you use to secure your identity, assets and technology in the online and mobile world.
These tools include anti-virus software, Web services and biometrics and secure personal devices you carry with you every day. Secure personal devices such as a smart card-based USB token, the SIM card in your cell phone, the secure chip in your contactless payment card or e-passport are digital security devices since they give you the freedom to communicate, travel, shop, bank and work using your digital identity in a way that is convenient, enjoyable and secure.
As more and more of these devices get connected they can help us to access a range of services as well as communications, payment and e-Government. Advantages are obvious but there are security implications too. However, there are risks for individual identities as well as personal, corporate and government information. Therefore, safeguard access to these services, two questions are being asked everywhere, millions of times a second. Not through people but through devices.
‘Are you who you say you are?'
‘Is my data safe with you?'
Digital Security means answering those questions with solutions that protect and enhance assets and interactions.
Trends in digital security:
1) Migration to faster mobile networks
The growing dominance of Smartphone and deployments of 4G/LTE networks creates new possibilities for mobile services.
2) People using multiple mobile devices
With the boom in mobile products such as tablets people frequently have more than one connected device and they need to access services in the similar way everywhere they are.
3) More things connected by mobile
Electricity meters, cars, heart monitors -the list of connected devices is growing and often the easiest ways to hook them up is through the mobile network
4) Growth of digital payment in many forms
Cash is being replaced by digital payment methods - of which the fastest-growing is mobile.
5) Increasing online and mobile banking
People are now banking at home from their computers and increasingly using a mobile app
6) Migration to the cloud
Businesses are moving more of their data to the cloud as well as leasing employee's access corporate networks from their own personal devices. They wish for to benefit from the flexibility and convenience without compromising on security.
7) Growth in e-Identity documents and e-Government services
There will soon be billions of e-ID documents in circulation and governments are using them to allow secure access to e-Government portals and other services.
Benefits of Digital Security:
1. Computer controlled digital systems can be guarded by software allowing new functions to be added without changing hardware. Frequently this can be done outside of the factory by updating the product's software. Hence, the product's design errors can be corrected after the product is in a customer's hands.
2. Information storage can be easier in digital systems compared to analog ones. The noise-immunity of digital systems permits data to be stored as well as retrieved without degradation. In an analog system noise from aging were degrade the information stored. In a digital system the total noise is below a certain level also the information can be recovered perfectly.
Drawbacks of Digital Security:
1. In some cases, digital circuits use more energy compared to analog circuits to accomplish the same tasks therefore produce more heat. In battery powered or portable systems this can limit use of digital systems. Eg. Battery-powered cellular telephones regularly use a low-power analog front-end to amplify and tune in the radio signals from base station. Though, a base station has grid power and can use power hungry but very flexible software radios. Such type of base stations can be easily reprogrammed to process signals which are used in new cellular standards.
2. Digital-circuits are some-times more expensive especially in small quantities. Digital-fragility might be reduced by designing a digital system for robustness.
Scope and challenge for Cyber Security professionals:
Entry-level position of a cyber security professional is a position which requires least-work experience with the responsibility of correlating broad security guidelines of the organization with daily security operations.
Middle level manager's responsibility would be management of security programs, policy creation, data security and management, business continuity also disaster recovery. For this position only persons with prior experience are likely to be considered.
After that top-level position is Chief information officer. The role of this senior position is to rationalize price of current and future investments to minimize information risks. This position is only meant for persons with has good experience.
Though there is a little chance for a fresher but one can get the job after having few years of experience.
Pre-requisite for Cyber Security Job:
Students must be a graduate in any discipline but preferred a degree in computer science. Basically, Students with software engineering background can easily make their way in.
Good knowledge of computer networks also understanding of hackers mind is must.
Certified courses such as CISM (Certified Information Security Management), CISA (Certified Information System Auditor) and CISSP (Certified Information Systems Security Professionals) are available for aspiring students.
Other well known courses are MCSE (Microsoft Certified System Engineer) and CCSP (Cisco Certified Security Professional).
Cyber security professionals are much sought by police departments, intelligence wing of the army also private companies.
Scope of cyber security job is very bright but with some experience it's a lucrative career option. As world is coming together we have a more secure and reliable communication systems. As per an updated press note, with more information and data being hacked these days, the role of cyber security professionals is going to be extremely challenging.