Types of Marketing Information System: the information needs of the marketing job are large and diverse. It is not easy to classify that information into a few types:
1. Classification Based on the Purpose for Which the Information is used: as per this method marketing information can be classified into four groups as shown below:
1. Information for marketing planning.
2. Information for marketing operation.
3. Information for key decisions in marketing.
4. Information for key marketing control.
2. Classification based on the subject matter of the information: as per the second method of the classification, marketing information can be classified on the basis of the content or subject matter of the information, as shown below:
1. Information on
2. Products customers
4. Distribution channels
6. Sales force
8. Sales methods
9. Internal operations of the firm
10. External environment of the firm
Large organizations need more information: while every organization requires a continuous flow of the information for taking various marketing decisions, the information needs of large organizations are far greater for two reasons. Firstly, the size and complexity of the organizations decisions are taken. Secondly, in large organizations, the marketing decision makers are located away from the field of activity, the market. In the nature of things, they manage mostly on the basis of the information that reaches them.