Turbine engines cooling , Other Engineering

Turbine engines cooling :

Turbine engines are designed to convert heat energy into mechanical energy. The combustion process is continuous and, therefore, heat is produced. On turbine engines, most of the cooling air must pass through the inside of the engine. If only enough air were admitted into a turbine engine to support combustion, internal engine temperatures would rise to more than 4,000 degrees Fahrenheit. In practice, a typical turbine engine uses approximately 25 percent of the total inlet airflow to support combustion. This airflow is often referred to as the engine's primary airflow. The remaining 75 percent is used for cooling, and is referred to as secondary airflow.
When the proper amount of air flows through a turbine engine, the outer case will remain at a temperature between ambient and 1,000 degrees Fahrenheit depending on the section of the engine. For example, at the compressor inlet, the outer case temperature will remain at, or slightly above, the ambient air temperature. However, at the front of the turbine section where internal temperatures are greatest, outer case temperatures can easily reach 1,000 degrees Fahrenheit. 

Cooling Requirements

To properly cool each section of an engine, all turbine engines must be constructed with a fairly intricate internal air system. This system must take ram and/or bleed air and route it to several internal components deep within the core of the engine. In most engines, the compressor, combustion, and turbine sections all utilise cooling air to some degree.

For the most part, an engine's nacelle is cooled by ram air as it enters the engine. To do this, cooling air is typically directed between the engine case and nacelle. To properly direct the cooling air, a typical engine compartment is divided into two sections; forward and aft. The forward section is constructed around the engine inlet duct while the aft section encircles the engine. A seal or firewall separates the two sections.

294_turbuine cooling.png

In flight, ram air provides ample cooling for the two compartments. However, on the ground, airflow is provided by the reduced pressure at the rear of the nacelle. The low pressure area is created by the exhaust gases as they exit the exhaust nozzle. The lower the pressure at the rear of the nozzle, the more air is drawn in through the forward section.

2261_turbuine cooling1.png

Posted Date: 9/12/2012 7:41:26 AM | Location : United States







Related Discussions:- Turbine engines cooling , Assignment Help, Ask Question on Turbine engines cooling , Get Answer, Expert's Help, Turbine engines cooling Discussions

Write discussion on Turbine engines cooling
Your posts are moderated
Related Questions
Linear lateral dynamics The second order (two degree of freedom) Dutch-Roll approximation is an approximation to the abovefourth order system for the Dutch Roll dynamics. A jus

Presintering is an operation in which the powder metallurgy components after compaction are heated for a short time to a temperature considerably below the final sintering tempera

Q. Define elastic and plastic deformation and differentiate between them. Ans. Elastic deformation : Elastic deformation is that part of the deformed material, when the


Noise reduction The problem of engine noise has always been associated with aircraft. Increases in engine power have given rise to increases in noise and the indications are t

Representing vectors in different axes All positions, velocities, momentums and accelerations are really relative positions, relative velocities, relative momentums and relativ

Working capital: Laurel Electronics reported the following information at its annual meetings. The company had cash and marketable securities worth $1,235,455, accounts payables wo

'Exclusive or' gate: The basic OR gate illustrated previously in Figure 3 was seen to include the AND operation in that its output will adopt the 1 state not only when either i

The commonly used moulding materials for mould making can be broadly classified into the following two groups :             (a) Metals : Including grey cast iron, steel and an

Payback & NPV Julia Corp. is in the business of making sugar cookies. The company is considering the purchase of a new cookie making machine which will improve its manufacturing