Mitochondria is a double unit membranous structure. It consists of outer & inner membranes.
mtDNA is circular or double stranded. It has :-
1. High G-C content
2. High melting point
3. High renaturation temperature
4. It can replicate itself during any stage of cell division (from G-2 to cytokinesis)
5. 2-6 copies present in each mitochondria.
6. Mitochondrial DNA can code the synthesis of 10 different types of proteins ( Membrane proteins). Rest of the proteins and enzymes of mitochondria are synthesized under the control of nuclear genes.
7. Mitochondrial DNA was discovered by Nash and Margit (1963).
8. Enzymes for replication and transcription of DNA like DNA- polymerase and RNA polymerase.