Steps Involved for Method of Section:
The different steps involved are stated below:
(1) First find out support reaction by using equilibrium conditions.
(2) The truss is split into 2 parts by passing an imaginary section.
(3) The imaginary section has to be such so doesn't cut more than 3 members in which the forces are to be determined.
(4) Make direction of forces in the member which is cut by the section line.
(5) The condition for equilibrium is applied for one part of truss and the unknown force in the member can be determined.
(6) While considering the equilibrium, nature of force in any member can be chosen arbitrarily to be tensile or compressive.
If magnitude of the particular force comes out positive, the assumption in respect of the direction of it is correct. But, if the magnitude of the forces comes out negative, actual direction of force is positive to that what has been assumed.
The method of section is convenient when the forces in a few members of the frame are required to be worked out.