STEAM ENGINE TERMINOLOGY:
1. Cylinder Bore: Inside diameter of cylinder.
2. Cover End and Crank End of cylinder: In the horizontal cylinders the end that is farthest from the crank is called as cover end and end which is nearest to the crank is called as crank end. In case of vertical engines top end is called as front end and lower end is called as bottom end.
3. Piston Stroke: The distance traveled by the piston from one end to the other end is called as stroke. In one stroke of piston crank shaft makes one ½ revolution.
4. Crank Through: It is distance between center of crank shaft and center of crank pin.
5. Dead Centre: It is the position of piston at the end of the stroke. At dead center the center line of piston rod, connecting rod and crank are in same straight line. A horizontal engine has inner and outer dead centers where as vertical engine has top and bottom dead centers.
6. Valve Travels: It is total distance which the valve travels in one direction.