1. Contrast how a functionalist verses a conflict theorist would view the impact and effects of the media on children differently? Be sure to articulate the point of view of each perspective individually... and then compare and contrast the two perspectives as they relate to this social concern.
2. Common sense knowledge in western culture idealizes the nuclear family. What has been lost and what has been gained with the weakening of extended family ties? Who benefits? Who loses?
3. Research has found that the number of mentally ill homeless people is greatly distorted. Why is the mistaken belief that all or most homeless are mentally ill so appealing to many in the U.S. ? Who rally does make up the majority of the homeless?
4. We need others to remind us of who we are! What could this mean sociologically? What major sociological theory or theories would be useful here?
5. Having deviants in a society actually opens the doors to everyone's potential freedom. It's kind of like the relationship between statuses & roles and their relationship to freedom. Explain.
6. Part A: The concept of race has gone through quite a revolution in the history of scientific analysis. Based on the information in this course make a case for the following True-False Statement. It is inevitable that race will disappear and become a variation of ethnicity (True or False). Discuss your rationale! In theory even ethnicity has the potential of disappearing! (True or False) Discus your rationale! Obviously, scientific/academic definitions are critical here! Be careful. You should not make common sense assumptions. Part B: Discuss how the concepts of gender and androgyny is similar and/or different from the concept of race. Be sure not to use common sense beliefs here. It is very easy to do so when discussing these topics. Always ask yourself: "How do I know?...What's in the text, mini-lecture or other readings?"