Service profit chain - operation strategy, Operation Management

Assignment Help:

Service Profit Chain - Operation Strategy

Prior to their work on the service-profit chain, Heskett and colleagues produced what they considered as the linkages between the employee and the customer. This is depicted in the next figure (page 88) as a 'cycle of failure'. Their contention is that service organisations have failure 'built-in' to their organisations by placing the least paid, least trained member of staff at the customer interface despite the fact that customers are becoming increasingly discerning in their demands. They suggest that many companies are more interested in paying for managerial control, exemplified by multiple levels of management than they are in providing better customer service.

1616_Service Profit Chain – Operation Strategy.png

Heskett asked the question 'would we rather pay for control than service?' To support his arguments he refers to a research study in the US of major retailers where it was found that of customers who defected to a rival company, only 14 per cent did so because they were unhappy with the product; the remaining 86 per cent did so because they were unhappy with the service. Heskett (1991) suggested that the research study showed that customer loyalty was a good predictor of not only current but future profits and as an important indicator it should be measured. Reichheld (1996) suggests that as the quality revolution in manufacturing has had a profound impact on competitiveness, so too will 'zero defects' have an impact on service management. The challenges for operations managers in the service sector would appear to be just as demanding as for those in the manufacturing sector.

 


Related Discussions:- Service profit chain - operation strategy

Explain the capability index, Q 1 The capability index (Cpk) calculates the...

Q 1 The capability index (Cpk) calculates the percentage of items being produced within specifications. Q 2 Design quality in products refers to the degree to which a product or

Explain why are unions exploring new collaboration solutions, Why are union...

Why are unions exploring new collaboration solutions in the face of economic/work adversity, and how did Saturn's ambitious Quality of Work Life (QWL) program address these factors

Explain security professionals as technology advances, Identify potential e...

Identify potential ethical challenges that may be faced by security professionals as technology advances, applications become more mobile, and computer criminals become more innova

Describe system safety working group, You are preparing a Preliminary Hazar...

You are preparing a Preliminary Hazard List (PHA) for a new aircraft, as the System Safety Engineer. Describe 5 (five) credible hazards/mishaps you would include in this list for f

Explain your approach to tracking a project, Describe your approach to trac...

Describe your approach to tracking a project. What kinds of issues would you focus on if you were a project manager? Why?

Explain and identify the product subject to recall, The paper must be four ...

The paper must be four to five pages, excluding the title page and references page Address all of the following parts of this assignment 1. Visit the Consumer Product Safety

Explain upper control limit for an r-chart, Twenty samples of subgroup size...

Twenty samples of subgroup size 3 (n=3) were collected for a variable measurement. Determine the upper control limit (UCL) for an R-chart if the mean of the sample ranges equals

Explain dispute arises the hotel management, A famous New York City hotel, ...

A famous New York City hotel, Hotel Lux, is noted for its food as well as its luxury accommodations. Hotel Lux contracts with a famous chef, Chef Perlee, to become its head chef at

What is ethical leadership, Give an example of ethical leadership. What are...

Give an example of ethical leadership. What are the characteristics of ethical leadership? And why do you think ethical leadership is important.

Multifactor productivity, A company that makes shopping carts for supermark...

A company that makes shopping carts for supermarkets and other stores recently purchased some new equipment that reduces the labor content of the jobs needed to produce the shoppin

Write Your Message!

Captcha
Free Assignment Quote

Assured A++ Grade

Get guaranteed satisfaction & time on delivery in every assignment order you paid with us! We ensure premium quality solution document along with free turntin report!

All rights reserved! Copyrights ©2019-2020 ExpertsMind IT Educational Pvt Ltd