Scope of the OR techniques can be derived in followings various importance fields:
1. In Agriculture : With the explosion of population and consequent shortage of food OR is very useful in sorting out problems.
a. The problem of optimum allocation of land in various crops in accordance with the climatic conditions.
b. The problem of optimum distribution of water from various resources fertilizers new techniques and capabilities.
2. In Finance: In these modern times of economic crisis it has become very necessary for every government to have a careful planning using the OR techniques applied to
a. Maximize the per capita income with minimum resources.
b. Find out the profit plan for the company.
c. Determine the best replacement policies.
3. In Industry: If the industry manager decides his polities only on the basis of his past experiences he may not lead the organization in a positive manner and the organization will suffer heavy losses. These losses can be compensated by suing OR techniques in business management which formulates total production schedule optimum utilization of resources available.
4. In Marketing : With the help of OR techniques a marketing manager can decide.
a. Where to distribute the product sale so that the total carriage inwards and outwards cost will be minimized.
b. Minimum per unit sale price.
c. Size of the stock to meet the future demand.
d. Selection of advertising media with respect to time cost efforts results etc.
e. Purchasing criteria at minimum possible cost.
5. In Personnel management: A Personnel manager can use OR techniques
a. To appoint the most suitable persons on appropriate salary.
b. To determine the best age of retirement.
c. To find out the number of persons to be appointed on full time basis depending upon the nature of the work load.
6. In Production Management: A production manager can use OR Techniques.
a. To find the number and the size of the items to be produced.
b. In scheduling g and sequencing the production run y proper allocation of machines.
c. In calculating the optimum product mix.
d. To select locate and design production plans.
7. In Insurance Sector: OR approach is also applicable in insurance sector to decide.
a. What should be the premium rates for various modes of policies,
b. How best the profits could be distributed in the case of profits generation.