ROLE OF A NURSE IN LEGAL PSYCHIATRY:
1) Standard Care: The nurse must function at laid down standards and keep up with the standard of care by knowing the policies & procedures of an institution.
2) Legal Duty: If nurse observes an action which may harm to the patient, she would intervene immediately and protect the patient from injury.
3) Confidentiality and privilege: Confidentiality relates to the responsibility of the nurse'to keep all information, records and correspondence, confidential and to allow access to those who take care of the patient. Privileges relate to the relationship of a particular nurse to a client and provide protection of the informations obtained from him as. a result of their relationship.
4) Informed Consent: Consent is a competent client's voluntary agreement to treatment after being given information about the treatment. Nurse should explain each procedure to the patient and relatives before doing it. She must allow the patient and relative to express their views and answer to any question which need to be clarified. -
5) Malpractice: The term malpractice is often used inter-changeably with negligence to define the acts of a professional person that are called into questions because of the lack of due care.