Relation of water content to functions, Biology

Relation of Water Content to Functions

If an aquatic plant appearing turgid is removed from water and left in the open, it quickly wilts. The water content of the leaves may change hardly by 3 to 5 per cent but the plant looks functionless. This is also true for young leaves of wheat which have 90-95% water; they wilt if water content drops by 3-4 per cent. However, an older leaf has only 80-85% water but is fully turgid. Thus, water content cannot be the basis of judging the activity of leaves. Therefore, it is necessary to have an expression for plant water status which could be related to plant function. We will discuss this in one of the sections later.

Posted Date: 1/17/2013 1:41:37 AM | Location : United States







Related Discussions:- Relation of water content to functions, Assignment Help, Ask Question on Relation of water content to functions, Get Answer, Expert's Help, Relation of water content to functions Discussions

Write discussion on Relation of water content to functions
Your posts are moderated
Related Questions
Glanders The glanders is caused by Burkholderia mallei (previously known as Malleomyces mallei) and it is a serious contagious disease of equines. Infected equidae are the reservo

Thiamine deficiency (hypothiaminosis) Thiamine deficiency is characterized by signs of nervous system. The primary  thiamine deficiency is not common in animals. However, seco

Explain the Appearance of the Pupil The pupil should appear round and regular. The normal diameter  is  2-4 mm. On stimulation by  light,  the pupil  constricts, so as  to redu

What is nucleus where it is found? Nucleus :  The nucleus is present only in eukaryotic cells. It is the control center and is generally found in the center of the cell. The

Regulation of Heart The number of electrical impulses initiated by the SA node is primarily the result of its innervation by fibers from both sympathetic and parasympath

KIDNEY S - Origin . They develop from the mesoderm of the embryo. The kidneys secrete three hormones: renin, erythropoetin and calcitriol. (i) Renin . Whenever the rat

Lamivudine This oral antiretroviral nucleoside analog used to treat HIV is also FDA-approved for treatment of chronic HBV infection. A trial in Asian patients with chronic HBV

Electron Transport Inhibitors Several  compounds, including specific drugs, chemicals  and antibiotics  have been known to inhibit the electron  transfer  reactions at specific

Q. Concerning permeability what type of membrane is the cell membrane? The cell membrane is a selectively permeable membrane that is it allows the passage of water and some sel

Cyclosporine Immunosuppressive agent that is selective for lymphocytes mainly "T" lymphocytes. Route: Oral, parental, dose as prescribed. Side-effects: Ne