Project process cycle
Any project professionally planned will target specified goals within the framework of time with available resources. The project passes through the following six phases for achieving the desired tasks:
1. Conceptualisation: The conceptualisation stage gives a broad outline of project, its purpose and budget estimates for the same
2. Project definition: A project, post conceptualisation enters this stage if it is technically feasible. This phase defines the project in detail, develops the project description and determines time schedules, mode of accomplishment of work and resource estimates.
3. Planning: This is a crucial phase of any project since the success of the project totally depends on the professionalism built in this stage. Planning takes care of creating the organisation to manage the project, developing detailed plans, identifying tasks, budget and resources. This should also define how the various tasks and activities in the project will come together to complete the task.
4. Preliminary studies: This stage involves a review of planning done in the previous stage before execution of the project begins. In this phase, the assumptions made in project plans are validated through various modes like data collection, discussions with experts, and so on.
5. Performance: This phase entails execution of the project as per the plan. The project manager will use all the project control tools and techniques in executing the project. This activity consumes the longest time and large resources compared to other phases of the project.
6. Post completion: In this stage, the project manager evaluates the results and confirms that the results meet the expectations of the management. The project teams meet to discuss the strengths and weaknesses of the project, the effectiveness of the systems and procedures for future reference. This is followed by reassignment of project personnel to other projects. All other activities like restoration of equipment, facilities and so on are also taken care of in this stage. Documents connected with the project are filed systematically for future reference.
We must note that the contract process cycle begins with the initial stages of the project process. Hence, documentation process can be effectively managed if the phases of the project are systematically planned and adhered to.