Various ways/techniques suggested for control of water pollution are as follows:
1. Pollutants (radio active, chemical, biological) present in water bodies can be removed by appropriate methods such as adsorption, electro dialysis, ion exchanged, reverse osmosis etc.
2. By using coagulants such as alum, sodium aluminate fine suspended particles, proteins and other materials can be removed.
3. In sewage treatment plants, water pollutants are removed by physical, biological & chemical methods.
In the first step the larger and suspended particles are removed by sedimentation and filtration.
In the second step bacterial decomposition of organic matter is done by supplying air in oxidation bonds.
In the third step chemical oxidation of waste is done by strong oxidizing agents such as chlorine gas, perchlrate salts, ozone gas and U.V. radiation.
4. Excessive use of fertilizers and pesticide should be avoided and as far as possible less stable pesticides should be used.
5. Oil spills in water can be cleaned with the help of bregoli a byproduct of paper industry resembling saw dust.
6. Education and awareness programme must be launched.
7. The laws of pollution must be implemented strictly.