The procedure for setting a predetermined time standard is as follows:
1. Observe the job or think it through if it not yet being performed. It is best to observe under typical conditions: typical machine materials and worker.
2. Itemize the job elements. Do not be concerned about timing them just thoroughly document all the motions performed by the worker.
3. Form a table of predetermined time standards record the standards for each motion units. Motion units are expressed in some basic ( a Therblig scale is often used ) that corresponds to time units.
4. Find the sum of the standards for all motions .
5. Estimate an allowance for personal time, delays and fatigue and add to the sum of standards .
This total sum is the predetermined time standard for the job.