Pre Requisites of JIT Program
Pre requisites to a JIT programme include all the actions and preparations that are required of the organization prior to implementing a JIT programme. These are:
1. It is necessary to carry out plant evaluation to assess its present condition ( in terms of production and work force capacity ) and to be instrumental in making changes in the followings areas. It also assists in determining the degree of change and difficulty required for JIT implementation:
a. Multi function workers are necessary to respond to frequent changes in job allotment to each work.
b. The work fore will have to be trained to become acquainted with the skills and knowledge required to perform a number of various tasks of production.
c. The use of team work becomes critically important to the development of a co ordinate systems.
d. There must be commitment from all involved in the organization and willingness to adopt to change. JIT success depends upon the degree to which employees are motivated and committed to making the process work as co ordinate systems.
2. The idea of continuous improvement must be adopted into the philosophy and goals of the company.
3. Under JIT production the plant layout is arranged for maximum work flexibility. A u shape layout enables each operator to handle more than one machine.
4. It is necessary to eliminate the visible waste clutter and obstacles from the production area ( good housekeeping ).
5. For successful implementation of JIT flexibility on the part of the organization planning will also be a pre requisite .
The organization should consider flexibility on four levels;
a. Adjustments to changes in volume.
b. Modification of the product mix.
c. Choice of equipment and
d. People flexibility ( Development of employees to acquire multiple skills.)
6. Reduce set up time by adopting some degree of automation in the work centre.
7. Delegate responsibility to work force for producing quality products just in time to support the next production process.