Policies of educational financing - earmarking, Microeconomics

Policies of Educational Financing - Earmarking

Earmarking refers to setting aside and using the funds generated by a special cess/tax for the particular purpose for which it is collected. The programme of Sarva Shiksha Abhiyan is also adopting this method for meeting the major part of its funds. An important aspect of this kind of a tax is its ready social acceptance. When the benefits by a tax is properly communicated to the masses, they are readily accepted. Many countries, both developed and developing, have adopted this course to generate funds for educational purposes. For instance, earmarked taxes have been used for education in US at the state level e.g. in Indiana, Arkansas, Tennessee, and South Carolina in the 1980s. While Indiana levied a tax on the corporate and personal income to fund the governor’s programme of educational excellence, the latter three states raised the resources through sales tax of 0.01 per cent to mobilise significant resources for funding school educational needs. Likewise, introducing a five-year education tax on liquor, tobacco, interest and dividend income, and on the banking and insurance industries, South Korea could generate 15 per cent of the education ministry’s budget during the 1980s.

This tax generation method was continued later for another five years. Nepal, Phillipines, Pakistan have also generated funds for educational programmes by special cess levied for the purpose (Mehrotra, 2004). The case of Brazil, with 27 states and 5559 municipalities, which generated earmarked revenue to a tune of over one-third of total government spending by levying a 2.5 per cent salary tax on the wages of employees in the private sector to finance exclusively its primary education programmes is more relevant to the Indian situation.

Which level of government (centre/state/municipalities) is appropriate to levy tax is an important issue in earmarking ventures. For instance, in India, despite the increased commitment, to the cause of elementary education in the country, the performance of states with respect to enrolment and literacy in the 1990s was highly inconsistent. In other words, there is a need for better equalisation of per capita resources for elementary education across states. The educational fund in Brazil (FUNDEF), helped in the equalisation of expenditure capacity in education between the poorer and the richer states. With the aim to reduce pay inequalities across the states and within the education sector (a factor having the potential to contribute to quality in teaching), 60 per cent of the resources spent on primary education were earmarked for wages and salaries and the remaining 40 per cent to finance capital outlays and operation and maintenance.

Posted Date: 12/17/2012 7:02:16 AM | Location : United States







Related Discussions:- Policies of educational financing - earmarking, Assignment Help, Ask Question on Policies of educational financing - earmarking, Get Answer, Expert's Help, Policies of educational financing - earmarking Discussions

Write discussion on Policies of educational financing - earmarking
Your posts are moderated
Related Questions
Lending Operations of World Bank: Resources of the Bank consist of the capital and borrowings. The capital of the bank is contributed by its 184 member-countries. Besides,

Determinants of Social Demand for Education - Equity Perfect equality is not observed in any society. Hierarchy in status, standards of living, capacities for effective demand

Case Study - EUROPE   Let us now see how events unfolded over the decades in Europe that led to monetary unification in terms of a single currency and single central bank. At

Situation is where a luxury is there. There is the snob appeal possibility where the higher the price, the more desired the commodity it.  Often people will drive expensive cars, e

What is ceteris Paribus?  Ceteris paribus is a Latin phrase, literally translated as "other things the similar," and usually rendered in English as "all other things being equa

The Long-Run Supply of Housing * Scenario 1: Owner-occupied housing - Suburban or rural areas - National market for inputs * Questions - Is this an increasing or co

Define and explain the following economic terms: Economics, Microeconomics & Macroeconomics Positive vs.  Normative Economics Law of Diminishing Marginal Utility Opport

Choosing Output in Long Run * In long run, a firm can change all its inputs, including size of the plant. * We are taking free entry and free exit. * Accounting

Fixed input and variable input: A fixed input is that input whose quantity cannot be varied in the short-run when demand conditions require an increase or a decrease in produc

Expected Utility: Theory Assume that a utility index exists which conforms to the five axioms. The expected utility for the two-outcome lottery L = (P, A, B) is given by,