Organizing sales promotion compagins
1. Identifying the requirement: the first requirement is to identify the specific requirement of the firm in resg orting to sales promotion. The firm finds out it need - it is to bring in substantial extra sales immediately? Is it to off load accumulated stocks?is it to regain loosing consumer interest in the product?is it to enlist some support for the advertising effort that is already on?
2. Identifying the right promotion programme: the next step is to identify the apt programme. The firm has to select the programme suitable to the current need and situation. Should it go in for product demonstration? or free samples of the product?or should it go in for a large scale consumer contest?the choice of the programme will be primarily decided by the resources available with the firm. A big consumer contest cannot be organized and implemented unless the firm can command substantial resources and organizing capacity.
3. Enlisting the involvement of salesmen: often sales promotion programmes are conceived and planned at the head office of the firm and implemented in a hurry without enlisting the cooperation and involvement of the field sales people. Foe the companies to succedd, it is essential that the salesman be briefed on the context and content of the programme.
4. Enlisting the support of the dealers (trade): it is also essential to enlist the support of the dealers in any large scale promotion venture. Since a major part of the activity has to take place around the dealer shop, the campaign may flop if the dealer is not motivated to support it. The POP materials and the product under the campaign will get the required prominence only if the dealer so desires.
5. Enlisting the advertisement agnecy's support: the advertisement agnecy's support is also essential for the successful working of a sales promotion campaign. Carrying out a sales promotion campaign is as challenging as conducting an advertising campaign. In fact, for a sales promotion campaign, the results are readily available to be measured. So the companies while commiting heavy funds for the sales promotion make it a point to ensure that they benefit from the experience and expertise of their agency.
6. Maintaining the Tempo: sometimes the sales promotion campagines are launched with a great publicity and fanfare. But subsequently the tempo of the programme is allowed to die out. It is essential that the initial tempo around the programme to be maintained through the entire period of the campaign, through advertising and POPs.
7. Time of the campaign: Timing of the campaign is another factor that decides its success. The sales need of the company is of course the prime factor that decides the timing. But if the firm also has to consider factors like seasonily of purchase of the product, climate conditions, festival seasons, etc, in timing the campaign.
8. Coordination with the other elements of promotion: sales promotion programmes yield the best results when they are well coordinates with the other elements of promotion - advertising, personal selling and publicity. Sales promotion cannot be run totally independent of these major promotion variables. When used in the combination with them, sales promotion stands a better chance of meeting its aims.