Write a response in your own words to each of the following questions:
1. Describe the processes of habituation and dishabituation and explain how they are used in research with infants. Provide one example from your module reading where researchers have used the habituation/dishabituation paradigm to study infant abilities.
2. After birth, neurological development continues in several ways. Describe three examples of such development.
3. In the last 10 years, programs designed to build "superbabies" have attracted popular attention. Proponents of these programs typically claim that early stimulation and instruction will greatly facilitate infants' development and increase their intelligence by taking advantage of infants' amazing learning abilities. Based on the textbook's discussion of the concept of preparedness, evaluate the appropriateness and probability for success of these programs.
4. The knowledge that objects and people continue to exist even if they are not in sight is vital to humans' everyday functioning. Describe the development of this knowledge and discuss how it might influence infants' relationships with their caregivers.
5. Describe the three patterns of attachments proposed by Mary Ainsworth and discuss the caregiving factors that contribute to the development of each one.
6. Summarize the currently available research findings on the risks of daycare for infants less than 12 months of age. Suggest what parents and daycare providers might do to minimize the likelihood of negative impacts on infants in daycare.
7. Based on what you have learned so far, consider the following question and participate in the WebCT discussion for the topic.