Customer Service Chat
Get quote & make Payment
Mr, Corporate Finance
A friend of yours, employed as a Tier 2 field service representative for a telephony corporation, wants your help as a financial specialist to determine the financial consequences associated with investing in education. One alternative is to enroll in an MBA-program and the other alternative is to attain a certification in network design. Your friend has provided you the following information:
• The current salary of $40 000 is paid once at the end of each year.
• The salary is expected to grow at a rate of 3% per year and your friend is expected to work for another 35 years (until retirement)
• Your friend’s income tax level is expected to be 25% forever
• Your friend’s current discount rate is 10% and is expected to stay at this level forever unless no further education investment is made.
• Today is the 1st of January 2013
The network design certification education
• The education starts immediately and ends 31st of December 2013
• The course fee is $5 000, to be paid today.
• The certificate implies a promotion and a salary increase of $10 000. The new salary will be paid starting December 31st 2014 and onwards.
• Due to that the education runs on evenings no salary loss is expected during the education
• Upon completion of the education your friend’s new discount rate will become 11%
The mba-program education
• The education starts immediately and ends the 31st of December 2013
• If enrolling your friend will earn no salary during 2013
• The tuition fee is $20 000, to be paid today
• An MBA degree implies a managerial position in the company and a salary increase of $20 000 . The new salary will be paid starting December 31st 2014 and onwards.
• Upon completion of the MBA-program your friend’s new discount rate will be 13% (following higher risk of income decrease)
Your task is to create a spreadsheet model (using Microsoft Excel) showing your friend which alternative is to prefer from a financial point of view. In particular your friend wants you to show her the following in the spreadsheet model:
a) Show by calculation the net present value for the three alternatives (no education, network design certification, mba). Also, according to NPV suggest which alternative you advise your friend to choose
b) Show by calculation (creating a formula) the discount rate (by replacing the 13% given above) at which your friend ought to be indifferent between not investing in education and investing in the MBA education (assuming she will complete it successfully).
c) Your friend is a bit uncertain about what her discount rate will be if completing an MBA. Therefore she wants you to show in a graph the NPV (with and without income tax) for different discount rates. Use the interval 0% to 100% with 5% subintervals. Set the y-axis as NPV and use the x-axis for the discount rates.
Finally, since your friend wants to be able to use this spreadsheet in the future as well you need to use cell references in the formulas (for tasks a, b and c above).
Posted Date: 12/29/2012 2:43:12 PM | Location : Sweden
Ask an Expert
Mr, Assignment Help, Ask Question on Mr, Get Answer, Expert's Help, Mr Discussions
Write discussion on Mr
Your posts are moderated
Write your message here..
Evaluate the projects, Consider the subsequent information about four diffe...
Consider the subsequent information about four different projects. Each requires an initial outlay of Rs2,000,000 but the firm only has funds to undertake one project. The firm ha
NPV, What is the present value of the following payment stream, discounted ...
What is the present value of the following payment stream, discounted at 7% annually: $1,200 at the end of year 1, $2,200 at the end of year 2, and $3,200 at the end of year 3?
MBA, how the knowledge of corporate finance helps thea multinational compan...
how the knowledge of corporate finance helps thea multinational company to take decision about mergers and acquisition
Market-adjusted and two-factor models - event study, Market-Adjusted and Tw...
Market-Adjusted and Two-Factor Models - Event Study As mentioned previously, you can use several alternative models to calculate a security's expected return. The market-adjus
Cash Budget, Analyse the budget shown below, and discuss any issues raised ...
Analyse the budget shown below, and discuss any issues raised regarding cash flow and legal requirements. Suggest at least three alternative courses of action the organisation cou
Securitization- technique of bundling and off-loading risks, Question: ...
Question: (a) i. Expected loss= Exposure amount* probability of default* loss given default ii. Positive covenants= covenants that showing the direction to a company. P
Describe the black-scholes option pricing formula, Question: a) Write d...
Question: a) Write down and describe the Black-Scholes option pricing formula with respect to the various determinants of option prices. b) Determine the price of a European
Level of debt in its capital structure, Weaving Ltd is a medium-sized Mauri...
Weaving Ltd is a medium-sized Mauritian knitwear company. It assembles jumpers and other forms of knitwear clothing. Despite an adverse economic background, Weaving Ltd has been do
Analytical derivation of the capital asset pricing model, Question: a) ...
Question: a) Give an analytical derivation of the Capital Asset Pricing Model (CAPM) and supplement your analysis with diagrammatic illustrations where appropriate. b) The
WACC, The cost of capital for a firm can differ from the cost of capital fo...
The cost of capital for a firm can differ from the cost of capital for each of its businesses. When a firm has multiple businesses, it is important to use the cost of capital appro
Accounting Assignment Help
Economics Assignment Help
Finance Assignment Help
Statistics Assignment Help
Physics Assignment Help
Chemistry Assignment Help
Math Assignment Help
Biology Assignment Help
English Assignment Help
Management Assignment Help
Engineering Assignment Help
Programming Assignment Help
Computer Science Assignment Help
Why Us ?
~24x7 hrs Support
~Quality of Work
~Time on Delivery
~Privacy of Work
Human Resource Management
Literature Review Writing Help
Terms & Conditions
Copyright by ExpertsMind IT Educational Pvt. Ltd.