A mortgage-backed security is a debt and a kind of security that is backed by a pool of mortgages or a credit support from another party to a transaction. The cash flow to the investors in terms of interest and repayment of principal is dependent on the cash flows from the mortgage. The pool of mortgages is held by a special purpose vehicle.
1. Mortgage Pass-through Securities
2. Mortgage-Backed Bonds
3. Stripped Mortgage-Backed Securities
4. Non-agency Mortgage Backed Securities
5. Commercial Mortgage-backed Securities (CMBS)
6. International Mortgage backed Securities