Merits of Continuous or Flow Production1.The direct labor content will be reduced since the comprehensive pre planning which is necessary will often produce economies in time.
2.Assuming the product task is initially designed correctly the reproducibility and hence the accuracy and precision are high .
3.Since inspection is inline deviations from standard are rapidly picked up.
4. Since there is no rest period between operations work in progress is at a minimum.
5. Again since there is no waiting period the provision of work in progress stores is unnecessary, and the total storage space required is significantly reduced.
6.Handling is reduced.
7. Control (including operations budgetary quality and supervisory control) is simplified the flow line being virtually self controlling .
8. Any weakness in materials or methods is immediately highlighted.
9. Materials requirements can be planned more accurately.
10. Investment in materials and resources used for a task can be more readily translated into income from sales.