Limitations of JIT
JIT manufacturing requires considerable co operation between the management and workers, it is commonly believed that JIT production system is very efficient but in due course of time many demerits have been pointed out some of these are :
1. Cultural differences have been cited as possible limitation on JIT. The benefit associated with JIT may be culturally bound and somewhat limited to Japanese environment.
2. Loss of individual autnomy is another shortcoming of JIT. Reduced cycle time forces the workers to adjust immediately to changes i demand significantly reducing the idle time of the workers resulting in greater amount of stress and pressure placed upon the workers to perform.
3. The success of JIT production system depends upo co operation between employer employers daily workstation rotation training of operators for different kinds of jobs and system adaptability to market function etc.
4. There is no flexibility only first come first served principle is applied by manufacturing items in order of releasing kanbans.
5. There is no safety stock to off set inaccurate demand forecasts.
6. JIT production is effective only when the daily demands are fairly stable.